tinyg V8 stuck in bootloader mode.

tinyg V8 stuck in bootloader mode.

So, I’ve had my tinyg V8 for a few weeks hooked up to my OX CNC.

One of the first things I did was to use the avrdude update method to update the firmware to tinyg-master-440.18.hex. The update was uneventful and everything worked fine.

Today, I went to use the CNC and dropped a file into chilipepper. Not sure what happened, but it appears the file was some how corrupt and chilipeppr was just filled with a bunch of ‘garbage’ characters and somehow it locked up the tinyg.

Ok, So I shut down chilipeppr and sjsp and turned off the tinyg, brought everything back up. sjsp connects and chilipeppr looks fine, but the tinyg just flashes the spdir (bootloader mode).

So I go back to reflash the tinyg with 440.18 and the flash appears to go normally, (using -e and no failed messages)

But at the end I get this message.

avrdude: verifying …
avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x0000
0x00 != 0x0c
avrdude: verification error; content mismatch

avrdude done. Thank you.

And nothing I can do will get the tinyg to respond or get out of bootloader mode.

I’ve read through a bunch of topics on this issue and most seem to indicate the following issues

1. Not using -e on the avrdude command line. I’m using it and it is erasing the memory and appears to load the hex file correctly.

2. An incorrect hex file. It’s the same exact hex file I have used previously, so I don’t think that could be the issue.

3. Some kind of fuses or lock issue. Most posts indicate that this was a problem with earlier versions and that it is not an issue with this version of board.

So I’m at a loss as to how to bring this board back. I’d be willing to buy an avrisp MKII if I had to, but the details on the page says a clone won’t work. About all I can find for sale it seems are ‘compatible’ items.

So My questions are:

1. Is there an easy fix for this?
  2. If I need a programmer to fix it, would a compatible one work?

Any info that can help get me back in business would be greatly appreciated.

howsit … i’m curious if you did manage to get it working again? i’m stuck in the exact same scenario!

@Leif_Sobremonte are you on the synthetos forums?
https://www.synthetos.com/topics/spdir-flashing-verification-error-content-mismatch/page/2/?view=all

We are working on a fix. We should have @Brent_Dowell s board in our hands in the next few days so we can take a look at it and figure out the issue. We should have a fix soon. Sorry for the issue in the first place!

yup that’s me! good to know you’re on it… i’m really really hoping its fixable.