The New Ultimaker S5 Ultimaker have released a new printer with a bigger build

The New Ultimaker S5
Ultimaker have released a new printer with a bigger build area, faster printing and some other goodies!

24 cubic mm per second? That’s 300 mm/s at 0.2 layer height with a 0.4 mm nozzle.

Definitely interesting. If they really have sorted out bed adhesion it might be a rival to a fortus for 1/8 the cost

Press release: https://ultimaker.com/en/stories/52571-the-ultimaker-s5-is-here

@Adam_Steinmark For Volcano users 30-50 mm³/s is pretty much normal. I’m too impatient for anything less.

@ChPech What material are you printing at 50 mm^3/sec with a Volcano? I’ve heard people maxing out around 30 with PLA.

24 is very reasonable with a 0.6mm nozzle and ABS using standard hot blocks, but PLA prints a lot slower…

Some types of PLA overheated to 260C in a 1.2mm nozzle. But I don’t like PLA, I stick to PETG which is more viscous and prints at 30mm^3/s with a 0.8mm nozzle.
Some kinds of PETG have additives lowering melting point and viscosity with wich I have printed at 45mm^3/s extrusion rate but I avoid these because then I get the same disadvantages of PLA, oozing due to the large nozzle and part-cooling issues.

@ChPech Got it, thanks for the detail.

Pretty sure the 24mm^3 is with a 0.8mm nozzle, as it’s our biggest one. @Mike_Kelly_Mike_Make we have bed adhesion sorted out, but it does require that you use our materials. Especially for ABS. We will also ship an aluminium build plate a bit later on, which will help with bed adhesion of certain materials.

Yeah rereading the spec sheet I’m pretty sure you’ll only ever be approaching the 24 mm^3/s flow with the 0.8 mm nozzle at 0.6 mm layer height (still 50 mm/s). I’d be interested to know the travel speeds and if they’re using wider rods to overcome droop caused by the carriage with the extended length and width.

Travel speed tops out at 250mm/s, due to Marlin being Marlin. 40k steps per second maximum step rate, 160steps/mm on the X/Y.

And the rods are 8mm, compared to the 6mm in the UM3/UM2.

(In case you missed this, I’m a software engineer at Ultimaker)

@Daid_Braam Sure you aren’t a hardware engineer also? I’m still waiting for a Titan kit :wink:

@Brad_Hill I’m not planning to release a kit of that. But I can send you the latest design if you want. It has working X/Y/Z, but lacks a proper feeder.

40k steps/s limit because of Marlin? I thought one of your guys invented Marlin. If there’s a programmed-in cap then that can be changed. If it’s because you’re still using an 8 bit uC chip, can I interest you in looking into Duet?

Invented is a big word, Marlin is a thrown together thing from multiple different other projects.
We are still using our old and trusted ATMega2560. We are looking into other options. I actually have a Duet ethernet on my desk (as well as all other options)

We decided not to change the ATMega in the S5 to keep it closer to the UM3, and keep the development risk on this area lower.

Bleh Atmega :-/ What’s the screen running? Is it a full system streaming gcode to Marlin or just a display control?

The ATMega is only running motion and temperature control (realtime things). The rest of all the process logic, display control, network protocols is all controlled by a Linux board (Olimex Lime2) the touchscreen is connected with HDMI.

@Daid_Braam That sounds ok then, thanks for the info.