Still need some help finding out what's going on ...

link to the squares file :

https://drive.google.com/open?id=11nx4wU7J3hmu78xf8Esvr_LCHSCQQ96U

link to the vids :

@Manon_Joliton
So the last video verifies what we already mostly knew:
…X moves correctly when there is no Y movement.
…Y moves a distance A and then X shifts to the left. The gantry pauses during this time.
…The distance A seems to always be the same and occurs only after the start of a Y move.
…The error is repeatable
…The machine always whistles during Y moves [this continues to bother me and feels like a hint ]

*So what could cause X to move a short delay after Y moves? What things are in common

X Cables loose:? Have you inspected the cables going to the X motor
Power supply droop:? Do you have and can you use a digital multimeter? If so we may want to measure the 24v to see if it is drooping.
24V power supply not operating properly

Something weird with the Y drive:? I am only going here because this is one of the things that’s been changed.

Check to see if the Y coupler is moving
…With a “sharpie” mark as thin a line as possible on the Y shaft near the coupler. Also make a line on the coupler lined up with the mark on the Y shaft.
Do this on both sides [the Y shaft and the motor shaft] of the coupler. After running the square jobs a few times inspect the coupler and shaft and see if there is any signs of movement [i.e. the marks do not line up].

Isolate the source of whistling during Y moves.
…Unplug the steppers one at a time, run the job and see if whistling stops

…You could also disconnect the Y shaft and see if the whistling stops when you run the job. This would suggest the 24V supply is having a problem on Y moves.

Uggh …some of these tests are stabs in the dark. Hopefully soon we will find a test that tells us enough to find the source of this problem.

• the x cables (a white ribbon of cable ?) looks ok, but it has been bent a little (see pic in next post)
  • i don’t think i have a multimeter
  • what do you call coupler ? The Y shaft is what i pictured this morning right ?
    -what do you call steppers ?

This is the x cable, it has been a little bent

@donkjr
I think I noticed something new :

• the whistle happens even when the laser is off (so it’s linked with the movement) i think we knew this but i confirm
    -the shift/loop that occur during a Y movement is caused (or at least linked) because the left part and right belt aren’t coordonated
    during half a second, the x axis isn’t horizontal but oblique

@donkjr I found out that a too strong belt tension could cause noises and problem with cutting, I don’t think mines are too strong but I had to screw it to make it stronger in the first days I had my machine cause if I didn’t, the right end of the X axis would tuch the Y right part that cover the Y belts
I thought it was just a belt tension problem at this time and it seemed to work better after I strengthened the tension but maybe it was not something normal ?

@donkjr the problem came from the shaft, the screws that hold the left shaft and the right in one shaft won’t stop unscrewing, causing the left shaft to go slower than the right
I screw it again (for the 3rd tile in 2 days) and it worked

But now i’m looking for something that would hold bo th part of the shaft in one (and that don’t need to be screwed back every 10min ^^ )

thank you very much @donkjr and @Nedman

@Manon_Joliton
Whoa are you saying you found the problem?

The Y shaft and coupling are shifting?

Set screws in flats on the shafts for that application are the best.
Loosen the screws and pull the coupling back. Are there flats on the motor and Y shafts. I have never taken mine apart.
If there are flats then make sure the screws in the coupling are engaging the flats on the shafts.
Alternately you can get various set screws here:

I would try “cup point” or “nylon tip” set screws. I do not know the size.
Nylon will not mar the shaft but may not hold as good.
Cup point will hold but may mar the shaft.
There are various types of point on these screws.

Might be good to get a few types to try.

Let us know what works so we can share in this community.

After you get this working reliably I would re-tension the belts to see if you can reduce the Y noise. That kind of noise usually means the stepper motor is under stress.

looks like your cutting platform is not aligned, or your laser is out of focus at certain points.

I would go get a small level, torpedo, or something like that, and make sure the platform is level.

The odd shapes, suggest the drive motors are not functioning properly. it could be the motors, or the control board, but the armature still moves on the X,Y, axis, so that might not be it.

The problem could be that the belts are loose, or that the belts need adjustment.

my laser has screw holes around the case that I can poke an allen wrench into and make belt adjustments. maybe yours does too. check for loose belts, slipping, and make sure the armature is secured to the belts.

Another tip: get some scotch tape, and stick it to the inside wall of your laser. Then, test to find the focal points, at 0,0 0,100, and 0,300 or something like that, points along the Y axis. Transfer those points to the tape, then using a ruler, make a straight line on the tape. you Will then be able to see where you need to adjust your bed, to get items placed at the focal point of your laser. no more guessing.