Spindle Power Supply (PS) shuts down (e.g.

Spindle Power Supply (PS) shuts down (e.g. no voltage output) when PWM signal sends command to spin up the spindle.

My Setup below [image inserted] along with links.

Problem: Spindle power supply shuts down, might be overload protection when tinyG sends command to start spindle at desired RPM. I’m also copying my tinyG settings. Maybe I have the wrong settings?

tinyG Settings:
[p1frq] pwm frequency 15000 Hz
[p1csl] pwm cw speed lo 5600 RPM
[p1csh] pwm cw speed hi 12000 RPM
[p1cpl] pwm cw phase lo 0.080 [0…1]
[p1cph] pwm cw phase hi 0.900 [0…1]
[p1wsl] pwm ccw speed lo 5000 RPM
[p1wsh] pwm ccw speed hi 12000 RPM
[p1wpl] pwm ccw phase lo 0.080 [0…1]
[p1wph] pwm ccw phase hi 0.900 [0…1]
[p1pof] pwm phase off 0.000 [0…1]

100V DC Spindle Power Supply

PWM Controller

500W Spindle (ignore the PS seen in the link)

882343fb1ab453846978b8844693c808.png

Voltage leveler?

“Except the board inside a PWM speed control, can also support an external PWM signal input speed control, external PWM input requirements: level 3.5-12V VPP, the frequency of 1K-10KHZ, in particular apply in MCH3 spindle speed control.”

Rob
Your parameters look familiar and should be OK except for $p1frq, 15KHz probably too high, did your mean 1.5Khz?
But I would not expect that to shut down the PS.
One test you could run would be to wire your spindle motor directly to the PS, bypass the controller. That should give you max RPM.
Good number to have, if you have a tach available.
Also, many folks have mentioned that they experience issues with PS overcurrent shutdown. Could be the adjustment POT is defective or intermittent. Crank it back and forth with a screwdriver.

Your PWM frequency seems way too high for a tinyG processor. It probably should be in the 1-5 Khz range. It may be that it just cant do that frequency and doesn’t turn on. Do you have a scope to monitor the PWM signals?

Does the power supply have a soft start feature? Perhaps it’s just overloading when you suddenly apply full power. Try ramping up the power level from zero slowly, if possible, to minimize inrush.

MG

@Darrell_n from the Banggood specs (see link) I don’t know if there is a soft start on the PS. If I manually send a command to start from zero rpm to make rpm I can force the same issue to happen with the result of the PS shutting down.

My spindle, although 400w, will start fine without soft start.
+Darrell n are you sure that 100vdc supply is just a power supply? It looks like a power supply and speed controller on the bangood site.
I run mine at 1500hz but ran it also at 15khz. It should still start but has problems controlling speed properly.

@donkjr Not my power supply, Don, it’s Rob Mitchell’s.
But you are right, Don, it appears that supply already has a speed control built in, you shouldn’t need another one. It’s possible the PWM controller is confusing the hell out of the power supply and causing it to shut down.

Sorry, didn’t look at the Bangood site for that supply before answering.

MG

@Darrell_n guys, I removed the speed control knob. The unit outputs 100v DC after I adjusted an internal pot once I removed the speed control pot.

In case this might help:
https://plus.google.com/+DonKleinschnitz/posts/3riSY22TXJW