So today i started designing my first home built bot.  I'm making it in

With that big of a build plate, make sure you’re using double or triple lead screw for Z… A cantilever like a Makerbot will be a giant floppy springboard.

@Ryan_Carlyle I totally agree. I just haven’t decided how I’m going to do it yet. I want to keep the support bars out of the line of sight from the windows on the printer. But it would be super helpful if i could put them dead center of the bed on the sides. Just not sure yet.

Tuck a leadscrew in each of the front corners and one in the rear center

Challenge is going to be Z stage hardware clashing with XY stage hardware, I think… may need to squeeze some stuff to do that.

Well fun story. In trying to upload files to github, I deleted all of my files and had no backup. Luckily i know my measurements. So I’ll redo it in the next few days. Thanks everybody for he ideas!

@Wes_Makes_Stuff what do you mean by sag in linear rods?

The design made popular by maker it in the replicator series and then in the replicator 2 uses linear guide rods with bearing or bushings. On the x-axis, the rods on a replicator are just long enough that the bars “droop” in the middle ever so slightly. Now think of how drastic that would be over a 2 foot span and you see why we need a sturdier design for a larger printer.

Simple rule of thumb for replicator-type designs with two steel rods… length no more than 25x the rod diameter. That limit gives acceptable flex due to typical masses / acceleration forces. Same rule works for a single aluminum extrusion used as a v-slot rail, length should be no more than 25x the width of the extrusion. (So 2020 is good to 500mm, 4040 is good to 1m, etc.)

I have 12mm diameter 500mm it’s stiff like hell

@Zviad_Sulaberidze I personally think you get too much ringing with 12mm/500mm rods, but I guess that’s just a matter of how much moving mass and acceleration you have.