So I recently got a k40 laser cutter off of ebay and notice it

So I recently got a k40 laser cutter off of ebay and notice it is a lot different then the ones people are using on here. I am interested in using a smoothie board, however my cables are very much different. I have one ribbon cable coming in for a limit switch and the stepper motor on the left, and a normal cord for the stepper motor at the bottom. Will that create an issue when getting the board? Also Should I order an unpopulated board?

This is how the board looks on my unit. Uses coreldraw.

You have one of the two fairly new board types. As you see this uses a ribbon so to use Smoothie you would need to splice that with what is called a middleman board. I would recommend you talk to @Scott_Marshall ​ as he sells a kit that will take that and give you a easy connection to a smoothieboard that he also sells. This is the easiest path available.

Looks like mine (it’s a Nano board). No worries upgrading to Smoothie.

ks for the feedback all, will look into a middle man board. Plan to get an updated nozzle and new lens for said nozzle soon. Then I will be looking into doing the smoothie upgrade.

@raykholo That is very interesting, is it available for purchase or testing? :slight_smile:

@Kelly_S yes of course. I am hand assembling the first set of PCBs. You can see some more pics of the conversion here:https://plus.google.com/u/0/+RayKholodovsky/posts/UrNpWddMZok
Please let me know if you are interested.

I am definitely interested, will it come with some simple instruction to sending code to it as well? :wink: And Still looking at 2 weeks delivery time? (I am located in the states).

Also may be interested in 2 actually. @raykholo