So I am nearly ready to "show off the beast".

So I am nearly ready to “show off the beast”. I trimmed the mirror and plywood down to a more manageable size. The print volume is still 200x200.

Then I fought for a day with adhesion issues. At one point I suspected the mirror might be bowl shaped the way the extruded PLA was looking on the bed.

Turns out the masking tape I bought is no good. I tried a second brand before returning the first one I was using. The Cantech stuff is no good - too slippery. The Painters Mate one works pretty good. (Just wished it stuck to the glass a bit better - the prints still slightly curl as the lift the tape of the bed - sigh)

Now, I’m printing a .25mm think 150x150 square and it is sticking, even and smooth!

Next up - Emmett’s Automatic Transmission demonstration gear set!

Originally shared by Alex Wiebe

Try the 3M Painter’s Tape, @Alex_Wiebe - adhesion to the platform is superb, and the plastic adheres to the tape surface just fine, at least for PLA.

Buildtak works

@Pat_Cummings Funny you should mention 3M - I just checked and that was the second brand I tried without success. I was almost getting more success printing on virgin glass than either the CanTech or 3M. The Painter’s Mate (with a light sanding), is sticking so well that we’re tearing it trying to remove the pieces once printed.

Currently printing a nearly 6" gear ring - looks amazing (so far).

If you use 3M blue painters tape, lightly clean it with isopropanol - it will remove any oils from your fingers and the wax coating.

I settled on liquid flue made for puzzles, on glass. These are flasks with a sponge on the head to apply the right amount of glue, and without the blobs made by glue sticks (see e.g. at the end of http://www.tridimake.com/2014/01/how-to-3d-print-nylon-and-trimmer-line.html ).
BTW where did you get your little heatsinks for your steppers? I used 40x40 ones, but they are bulky compared to yours!

@Jeremie_Francois - the heat sinks are from either older video cards or motherboard chipsets. They didn’t help (not enough anyway) - hence the cooling fan.