So after thinking my controller burned out I bought a new one and had

@Chuck_Comito

It read 0 vdc on a dc scale.
So the DC supply is dead?

It’s not dead @donkjr ​. I think I misunderstood what you asked and measured something else. It does work perfectly fine as far as outputting 24vdc.

@Chuck_Comito then I cannot imagine what went wrong everything looks normal to me.

Clearly as @Wolfmanjm suggests there was a large potential difference on the USB connectors shell.

Before connecting your usb next time I would measure the voltage on the USB connectors shell on both the smoothie and the PC.

Have you measured the voltage on the PC’s USB shell?

BTW can you see any fried part on the smoothie?

I did not take measurements from the usb on the pc side. That said I’m running the laser as I type and all is well. It’s virtually an identical setup. I cannot see anything fried but I clearly saw smoke and can smell the burnt area. I will measure the usb for verification.

@Chuck_Comito can you point me to the smelly area of the board :slight_smile:

Somewhere here.
missing/deleted image from Google+

@donkjr , I found what I did wrong but have no idea how to fix it but you might know where to point me. I had reversed my plugs on my external drivers. The of connector on the drivers is the green phoenix style connectors so I had the Ena/dir/pul connector in the A+/- and B+/-. This would mean that I introduced a voltage from the output of the external driver to the smoothie driver signals. The red square was inserted at the far right in this images order and the blue square was to it’s left occupying the first 6 locations next to the VCC and GND.
missing/deleted image from Google+

So you’ve dropped some high voltage into smoothie’s sensitive 3.3v logic pins? yeah that’ll fry all sorts of stuff, potentially including your computer’s USB ports…

@Chuck_Comito “point you”…?

So you had it connected something like:
B- => En
B+ => +En
A- => -Dir
A+ => +Dir
Gnd => -Pul
Vcc => +Pul

I haven’t wired a smoothie for external drivers but my guess is that the steppers drivers on the smoothie are fried. Hopefully that is all.
You would have to fix the wiring and replace the smoothie (ouch) or replace the driver chips on the smoothie.

Someone on the smoothie team might have better advice (@Wolfmanjm ).

I would do these in sequence to see if I can verify the smoothie:
…Check the power inputs resistance to ground and see if there is a short.
…Power up the smoothie and check all on board voltages.
…Power up the smoothie without any motors connected and see if it will connect to USB.
…Then try and connect stepper motor(s) (w/o external drivers) directly to the board and see if they run. Use a spare motor.
…Then try a driver with a stepper motor.

Yes @donkjr ​, that is exactly how I connected it. I was hoping it might just be the built in drivers… Basically if there is any kind of protection on the processor end I’m confident I can fit it. I have already ordered another one so this will hopefully be a repair down the road. Looks like I’ll have to figure out how to use a huntron…

Hey @donkjr ​, I got it working and cut my first dohicky. There’s still lots to fix but the basics are done. I have to add m3 in my gcode start as the config file I’m using doesn’t do the job the way the laser did. I also can’t seem to get fusion 360 gcode to work. As long as I stick to laserweb for 2d stuff I’ll be fine for a bit. Thanks for all your help. I’m sure I’ll be bugging you again soon! :'l

@Chuck_Comito by IT you mean your CNC mill? By Doohickey do you mean your making a laser meter?
F360 has a steep learning curve but hang in there its worth it.
Let me know if you need help with F360, I am not an expert but am now designing in F360 and going direct to GCODE on my ox after CAM simulation. IMO it is way better than LW in terms of getting to the right GCODE, it does however have many options to flail with.

Hi @donkjr , yes… “it” means my cnc mill and by “doohickey” I just mean a little something I made and not the laser power meter although I might try one. I can design in F360 and have nearly 25 years of Autodesk product use under my belt so that part is easy. The part that’s holding me up is the CAM functions. It seams relatively straight forward but I can seem to get a gcode file produced in F360 to work when sending it from LW4. I’m studying the differences in a LW4 gcode file and a F360 gcode at the moment. I might be better off using bCNC or something similar as my host. On a side note, this is my first ballscrew machine and I can’t believe the difference in torque and accuracy. Much nicer than belt driven systems… Hopefully I’ll be posting a show and tell video soon… :slight_smile:

I find F360 to better emilate how I understood cnc programming to work.
You have to dig into each CAM menu to find changeable settings and the post processor is useful to customize for machines and their drivers.
I actually run F360/ChilliPepper/TinyG simply because I wanted a setup I knew worked end to end. I planned to switch to a smoothie but since there is no CP workspace I have not undertaken that change.

Actually CP has a grbl workspace, and smoothie can be made to emulate grbl, so somebody needs to try that.

I will try @Arthur_Wolf ​ if you point me in the right direction to emulate grbl. Is it as simple as enabling grbl mode?

Like so @Arthur_Wolf ​?
grbl_mode true # added as a result reading smoothie for bcnc

@Arthur_Wolf yes, I just have to big a list of unfinished stuff to do… and I do not want to take my k40 down again to do this as I only have one smoothie.

@donkjr ​, I now have 2 smoothies so I will give it a try and report back.

@Arthur_Wolf ​ and @donkjr ​. That was a short run… I don’t know enough about this to figure it out. I added the line to the config file but wasn’t able to connect. I did download and run the server end as stated on the chilipeppr site. It found my port but wouldn’t connect. The information around the web is pretty thin on this stuff so I’m stuck. I’ll fiddle around with it later and see what I can come up with.