Smoothieboard Seems Dead

I’m hoping this is an easy fix. Everything was working perfect, printing well and LCD connected. Went to print the next day and didn’t get any response.

The LCD backlight turned on, but no boot and no LEDs. I took the LCD off to make sure that wasn’t the problem and that didn’t help.

The Diode D1 gets hot really quick when it is plugged in.

Imported from wikidot

This sounds very much like a short. Please take everything off the board and try connecting only the USB cable.

Thanks for the reply. I’ve removed everything and the problem still exists. The only thing that happened in between working and this was moving my printer. The board was secured so it didn’t move.

Is there thing else I could check? I’ll keep looking for possible shorts…

This *sounds* like something went wrong in the wiring, caused a short, and killed the board …

Ok… Perfect. Is there any way you can think to fix this $170 paper weight that conveniently blows up? I’ve had this board for a week with no problems and then dead. Is there any possible warranty coverage on this?

A few people have had success in similar situations by replacing the microcontroller ( which is the part that’s most likely broken here ). If that’s something you feel you are capable of doing ( you’ll need a replacement LPC1769, and a soldering hot air station, pretty much ), it’s very much worth a try.

About warranty, you’ll have to contact whomever sold it to you, and there will probably be a process of trying to figure out what went wrong, but if the board worked before, and stopped working due to a short, that’s essentially user error and wouldn’t be covered by the warranty unfortunately.

Prior to this the board was locking up once in while and needed a reboot. Was this a possible clue that something was wrong?

It could either be an un-related ground-loop issue with USB, or it could be the short that killed the board happened occasionally without having time to damage it …

I’m looking at mouser and think I found what I need. I don’t think I can post the url here though. wwwXmouserXcom/Search/m_ProductDetail.aspx?NXP-Semiconductors%2fLPC1769FBD100551%2f&qs=sGAEpiMZZMtDT69Hefc2iaizbZr4ilr8

Yep that’s the correct part.

Ok, thanks for your help… Looks like it’s back to ramps for a bit.

After further review of this board I noticed that IC14 has what looks like a typical burn hole that you find in burnt IC’s. Could this little guy be my problem? I have a picture, can I send it to you for review?

Yep you can email it to wolf.arthur@gmail.com

Never mind, that was resin.

Is there anything I have to do to this board after replacing the LPC? Will it boot up like normal if there are no other problems? The 3.3v regulator is bad as well, I will replace both.

You’ll want to flash the bootloader : http://smoothieware.org/flashing-the-bootloader then use the SD card to flash a fresh firmware.

Update, wanted to run this by you to see if it makes sense. I got new parts, 3.3 regulators and processor. I replaced the regulator first and checked if it was fixed. Well it still doesn’t show any lights, but the diode doesn’t get hot any more. I’m guessing it passed the high voltage to then LPC??

If the leds won’t turn on, it probably means the mcu is dead, and is now shorting the board.

Replaced the mcu and there is still a problem somewhere. No there is not a short in my soldering, I checked it 20 times.

The Diode is getting hot again and the ttl adapter doesn’t work wither.

I’m just going to cut my loses here, I’m not putting any more money into this. Thanks for you help…Good luck in the future.

I’m really sorry you couldn’t get this to work.

Something you could do that won’t cost you any money ( though it’s quite a bit of work ), is removing ICs from the board one by one ( for example the stepper motor drivers ) and checking each time if the board starts working again … that could help you find the problem.