Slow loading SVG files

Hello LaserWeb aficionados!

This piece of software is amazing! I’m coming from the K40 Whisperer/CorelLaser crap wagon and I really gotta give it to you guys. Wonderful job on making such a great piece of software.

I couldn’t take the K40s original software, and although K40 Whisperer was a huge improvement, it still lacks necessary advanced features. I just upgraded my controller to an Arduino Uno, CNC shield, and DRV8825 drivers running Grbl 1.1g (most recent as of 6/5/2019).

I have a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ running the LaserWeb Server and I remotely connect with the Windows desktop application.

TLDR;
LaserWeb works with my Pi and Arduino, no issues there.

What I am having issues with is slow loading of more “complex” SVG files. I have attached an SVG that loads in Inkscape, Illustrator, Lightburn, and K40 Whisperer in a matter of seconds, but LaserWeb will take 5-10 minutes before it becomes usable.
Drummer%20By%20Nature%20Laser
Any ideas on this?

Is there a way to install LaserWeb as 64bit? I noticed my install is 32bit…

I can confirm that your SVG loads extremely slow in LaserWeb (almost looks like LW has hang up). That picture is too complex for a vector file and would anyways take much too long to engrave.

If you export it as PNG picture it will load very quick and can be engraved with the “raser engrave” operation (much faster for complex objects).

Yes converting it to a PNG does make it load faster, but now the laser movement must cover all the white space in between characters and intricate details.

Is laser fill path not more efficient as far as laser time is concerned?

In “Laser Raster” operation you can deactivate “Brun White” which means the head will only scan over dark areas and skip white space (fast move).

The problem in your SVG is caused by the complex drumms picture. Whithout this the file loads quick.
You could try to only convert the drums to a pixel image (png) and embed that into the SVG. Then you should be able to use vector cut for the writing and raser for the drumms.

@cprezzi Thanks for your guidance, I think I have my head wrapped around this now. I’ve changed the drum set svg to just strokes (no fill, removed the large amount of small strokes as well), this makes the file load waaaaaaay faster. Then I use LaserWeb to “Laser Fill Path” on the drum set and it looks like the simulation is not wasting time passing over white space now.

1 Like