Replacing Herculien controller board - what is the best choice in 2020

You’ll want to provide a more literal transcript, including a literal transcript of the error. A summary of a message you don’t quite understand is unlikely to result in a clear diagnosis. :stuck_out_tongue:

Are these the documents you are following?

```
cut and paste the EXACT ERRORS you are seeing
in between two lines that contain exactly only 
three single back quote characters each
```

This way we see them without interpretation and without formatting.

Yeah a copy and paste of the error codes, or a screenshot or whatever would be helpful. Also if we’re really running to problems post up your Marlin folder and I can download it and try and compile and see if I run into the same errors. If I don’t get errors compiling then it’s probably dependencies that are installed. If I do get errors then it’s probably in the syntax somewhere.

I have resolved most of the errors now (your correct response - missing dependencies), but I don’t yet understand this last one, not sure what I am missing, I don’t know the entry to point to a specific disk? I am assuming it is looking for the SD card, which I have in a usb port, or is it looking for my BTT oard and it’s usb port?

Error:

Building in release mode

Unable to find destination disk (Autodetect Error)
Please select it in platformio.ini using the upload_port keyword (Upload options — PlatformIO 5.2.0a4 documentation) or copy the firmware (.pio/build/LPC1769/firmware.bin) manually to the appropriate disk

Literally, it means copy the file .pio/build/LPC1769/firmware.bin to the root directory of the SD card

Then when you reset (or cycle power) with the card inserted it will update the firmware on the board.

Also even though that is the only error in the terminal, there is no firmware.bin in the directory specified.

I use the terminal instead of the platformio gui, so I’m using platformio run to build Marlin. I don’t have the board connected when I build. What have you set default_envs to in your platformio.ini file?

default_envs = LPC1769

I think @Eclsnowman is right; easier to debug if you zip up your current directory and one of us tries to build. :slight_smile:

Also, as I said before, when showing errors:

```
cut and paste the EXACT ERRORS you are seeing
in between two lines that contain exactly only 
three single back quote characters each
```

I thought I did that, but not the three single back quotes.

> Executing task in folder Marlin-2.0.x: C:\Users\Bruce\.platformio\penv\Scripts\platformio.exe run <

Processing LPC1769 (platform: https://github.com/p3p/pio-nxplpc-arduino-lpc176x/archive/0.1.2.zip; board: nxp_lpc1769; framework: arduino)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Verbose mode can be enabled via `-v, --verbose` option
CONFIGURATION: https://docs.platformio.org/page/boards/nxplpc-arduino-lpc176x/nxp_lpc1769.html
PLATFORM: NXP Arduino LPC176x 0.1.1 > NXP LPC1769
HARDWARE: LPC1769 120MHz, 31.97KB RAM, 464KB Flash
DEBUG: Current (cmsis-dap) On-board (cmsis-dap) External (blackmagic, jlink)
PACKAGES:
 - framework-arduino-lpc176x 0.2.3
 - toolchain-gccarmnoneeabi 1.90201.191206 (9.2.1)
Converting Marlin.ino
LDF: Library Dependency Finder -> http://bit.ly/configure-pio-ldf
LDF Modes: Finder ~ off, Compatibility ~ strict
Found 6 compatible libraries
Scanning dependencies...
Dependency Graph
|-- <Servo> 1.0.0
|-- <LiquidCrystal> 1.0.0
|-- <U8glib-HAL> 0.4.1
|-- <TMCStepper> 0.7.1
|-- <Adafruit NeoPixel> 1.3.0
|-- <SailfishLCD>
Building in release mode

Unable to find destination disk (Autodetect Error)
Please select it in platformio.ini using the upload_port keyword (https://docs.platformio.org/en/latest/projectconf/section_env_upload.html) or copy the firmware (.pio/build/LPC1769/firmware.bin) manually to the appropriate disk

*** [Marlin\src\HAL\LPC1768\DebugMonitor.cpp] D:\Downloads\Marlin-2.0.vs\Marlin-2.0.x\.pio\build\LPC1769\.sconsign37.db.dblite: No such file or directory
========================================================================================= [FAILED] Took 4.11 seconds =========================================================================================

Environment               Status    Duration
------------------------  --------  ------------
mega2560                  IGNORED
mega1280                  IGNORED
rambo                     IGNORED
FYSETC_F6_13              IGNORED
FYSETC_F6_14              IGNORED
sanguino644p              IGNORED
sanguino1284p             IGNORED
melzi                     IGNORED
melzi_optiboot            IGNORED
at90usb1286_cdc           IGNORED
at90usb1286_dfu           IGNORED
DUE                       IGNORED
DUE_USB                   IGNORED
DUE_debug                 IGNORED
LPC1768                   IGNORED
LPC1769                   FAILED    00:00:04.112
STM32F103RC               IGNORED
STM32F103RC_fysetc        IGNORED
STM32F103RC_btt           IGNORED
STM32F103RC_btt_USB       IGNORED
STM32F103RC_btt_512K      IGNORED
STM32F103RC_btt_512K_USB  IGNORED
STM32F103RE               IGNORED
STM32F103RE_btt           IGNORED
STM32F103RE_btt_USB       IGNORED
STM32F4                   IGNORED
STM32F7                   IGNORED
ARMED                     IGNORED
STM32F103VE_GTM32         IGNORED
STM32F103VE_longer        IGNORED
mks_robin_mini            IGNORED
mks_robin_nano            IGNORED
mks_robin                 IGNORED
mks_robin_pro             IGNORED
mks_robin_lite            IGNORED
mks_robin_lite3           IGNORED
jgaurora_a5s_a1           IGNORED
STM32F103CB_malyan        IGNORED
chitu_f103                IGNORED
STM32F401VE_STEVAL        IGNORED
FLYF407ZG                 IGNORED
FYSETC_S6                 IGNORED
STM32F407VE_black         IGNORED
BIGTREE_SKR_PRO           IGNORED
BIGTREE_GTR_V1_0          IGNORED
BIGTREE_BTT002            IGNORED
teensy31                  IGNORED
teensy35                  IGNORED
esp32                     IGNORED
linux_native              IGNORED
SAMD51_grandcentral_m4    IGNORED
rumba32_f446ve            IGNORED
rumba32_mks               IGNORED
include_tree              IGNORED
==================================================================================== 1 failed, 0 succeeded in 00:00:04.112 ====================================================================================
The terminal process "C:\Users\Bruce\.platformio\penv\Scripts\platformio.exe 'run'" terminated with exit code: 1.

Terminal will be reused by tasks, press any key to close it.

Link to my zip file:

At least on Linux using platformio run on the command line, it built fine from your zip file.

... platformio run 
Processing LPC1769 (platform: https://github.com/p3p/pio-nxplpc-arduino-lpc176x/archive/0.1.2.zip; board: nxp_lpc1769; framework: arduino)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Verbose mode can be enabled via `-v, --verbose` option
CONFIGURATION: https://docs.platformio.org/page/boards/nxplpc-arduino-lpc176x/nxp_lpc1769.html
PLATFORM: NXP Arduino LPC176x 0.1.1 > NXP LPC1769
HARDWARE: LPC1769 120MHz, 31.97KB RAM, 464KB Flash
DEBUG: Current (cmsis-dap) On-board (cmsis-dap) External (blackmagic, jlink)
PACKAGES: 
 - framework-arduino-lpc176x 0.2.4 
 - toolchain-gccarmnoneeabi 1.70201.0 (7.2.1)
Converting Marlin.ino
LDF: Library Dependency Finder -> http://bit.ly/configure-pio-ldf
LDF Modes: Finder ~ off, Compatibility ~ strict
LibraryManager: Installing U8glib-HAL
Downloading...
U8glib-HAL @ 0.4.1 has been successfully installed!
Looking for TMCStepper library in registry
Found: https://platformio.org/lib/show/5513/TMCStepper
LibraryManager: Installing id=5513 @ >=0.6.1,<1.0.0

Unpacking  [##################################--]   94%
Unpacking  [##################################--]   95%
Unpacking  [##################################--]   96%
Unpacking  [##################################--]   97%
Unpacking  [###################################-]   97%
Unpacking  [###################################-]   98%
Unpacking  [###################################-]   99%
Unpacking  [####################################]  100%
TMCStepper @ 0.7.1 has been successfully installed!
LibraryManager: Installing Adafruit NeoPixel
Downloading...
Adafruit NeoPixel @ 1.3.0 has been successfully installed!
LibraryManager: Installing SailfishLCD
SailfishLCD @ 0.0.0 has been successfully installed!
Found 6 compatible libraries
Scanning dependencies...
Dependency Graph
|-- <Servo> 1.0.0
|-- <LiquidCrystal> 1.0.0
|-- <U8glib-HAL> 0.4.1
|-- <TMCStepper> 0.7.1
|-- <Adafruit NeoPixel> 1.3.0
|-- <SailfishLCD>
Building in release mode

Unable to find destination disk ([Errno 2] No such file or directory: '...')
Please select it in platformio.ini using the upload_port keyword (https://docs.platformio.org/en/latest/projectconf/section_env_upload.html) or copy the firmware (.pio/build/LPC1769/firmware.bin) manually to the appropriate disk

Compiling .pio/build/LPC1769/src/src/HAL/LPC1768/DebugMonitor.cpp.o
Building .pio/build/LPC1769/firmware.bin
Advanced Memory Usage is available via "PlatformIO Home > Project Inspect"
RAM:   [===       ]  25.5% (used 8364 bytes from 32736 bytes)
Flash: [==        ]  22.2% (used 105388 bytes from 475136 bytes)
========================= [SUCCESS] Took 80.89 seconds =========================
LPC1769                   SUCCESS   00:01:20.891

Therefore, this line from your build log looks like it is relevant:

*** [Marlin\src\HAL\LPC1768\DebugMonitor.cpp] D:\Downloads\Marlin-2.0.vs\Marlin-2.0.x\.pio\build\LPC1769\.sconsign37.db.dblite: No such file or directory

@Eclsnowman want to try on Windows and see whether you can reproduce this problem?

I did not ever see that message. I’ll research that now. Thanks for giving that a run!

I may be missing something, that file does not have today’s date on it, so I am not sure that is reflecting tonight’s build attempt?

I see No such file or directory in your build log so it surprises me that you found an old file by that name. I wonder if you could just delete the whole .pio directory and try again?

What I’ll do later today once I get some free time is try and set up a clean Marlin that I can get to compile. Would you be able to confirm all the hardware you have: steppers, drivers, LCD, travel limits from before, etc:

That way I can go through and confirm your config against one I’ve set up in the past for my skr v1.3 Eustathios and just make the changes for your setup.

1 Like

I have most of the details in the configuration.h file in the zip. I transferred the setting from my smoothie config file. I am really trying to learn the environment of visual studio code and the marlin at the same time, probably not a great combination. But my thought was to get a solid compile and then add additional features in…Once I get a successful compile, I have a bltouch to add, and I wanted to go without the X and y End stops.

Okay sounds good, I’ll take a look later tonight. I’m going to get some work done around the house while it’s nice out.

Okay, . I cleaned out all the marlin, platform io and Visual Studio code files from my computer.

I reloaded everything and did a simple compile for the mega. Successful.

I followed the marlin page on identifying and updating configuration.h for the BTT SKR 1.4 Turbo board. Made the change to platformio.ini to reflect the board. Successful.

I am going back to make the customization for my Herculien. Looks like I just did not get a clean install in the beginning.

Thanks to you both for looking at this. I’ll hopefully report back a successful build after church today.

2 Likes

One more variation on “Hello, IT, have you tried turning it off and back on again?” :laughing:

2 Likes

Glad to hear you got it sorted out.

1 Like