Recent R&D project: Life-sized 3d printed mannequin.

gplus
(Eric Pavey) #1

Recent R&D project: Life-sized 3d printed mannequin. Used a real human 3d scan chopped up into the build volume of my modified Tevo Little Monster (+ Duet Ethernet, Bondtech, E3D Volcano @ 1.2mm). Not counting calibration and failed prints, the whole thing was printed out of 12kg of Push Plastics PETG in 5 days & 17 hours, at 600 micron. By far the biggest single thing I’ve printed, learned a lot! :slight_smile:

(Kevin Danger Powers) #2

You cut off his penis!

(Eric Pavey) #3

@Kevin_Danger_Powers : He was was wearing some tighty-whities during the scan. But the mooseknuckle did have to be smoothed out. Still didn’t make it not weird to have a life-sized package in my printroom…

(John Bump) #4

@Jennifer_Linsky might find this interesting.

(bernd slemmen) #5

@Kevin_Danger_Powers The organ will be separately customized to individual requirements . Other actuators will be attached according to functions which a Humanoid Robot is to perform .

(ekaggrat singh kalsi) #6

good work… sad to see how a simple 3d print quality conversation goes in the most unwanted direction… why are some people obsessed with the absence of the required tools!

(Enoch Root) #7

The body part pic reminds me of an episode of Dexter

(Allen W) #8

Awesome job!

(Anthony TenBarge) #9

Very nice! I’d very much like to do a life size project such as this but haven’t found much information or examples. To 3D print an object this big (although in pieces), what type of polygon size/resolution would you need the figure to be? I know your print was a actual 3D scan, but could this be done with smaller character meshes and scaled higher to print this good?

In theory, I was thinking of taking a character mesh and clothing from something like DAZ3d (low mesh), import into Zbrush to modify and maybe subdivide to be a heavier mesh, and then print.

(Eric Pavey) #10

the resolution on this asset wasn’t much higher than anything else I’d normally print. Most ‘small’ prints have far more poly resolution than can actually be printed. What I tell people to do to visualize this is: In your 3d App: Set all ‘normals to face’ (or analogs term). Basically, ‘make it look faceted, not smooth’. Now, zoom the camera so that you’re viewing a roughly life-sized version of the print. what you see on-screen should be about how it will look printed (ignoring z-resolution, and xy nozzle resolution). If it looks too faceted, then smooth it more. If not, print!

(Anthony TenBarge) #11

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my inquiry. I’ve just
purchased a CR-10S and it should arrive sometime before the holidays.
On a life-size print like yours, would you recommend a .6mm print nozzle?