Raster design question

I’m designing something to laser engrave onto a slate coaster and I had a few questions about the most efficient way to get the data into the laser. In this case it’s just going to be a raster image with no vector lines being traced.

When designing a piece like this is it best to use an image file such as png or a vector file? When using a vector file is it better to group all the separate parts of the design into one object or does it not make a difference?

Hi James, For most simple things, as long as your png file has the resolution you want, I don’t think there is any real need to have a vector file for raster engraving.

Just group everything together unless there is a need to have some part engraved differently (e.g. power).

There are some exceptions but that would depend on what control software you are using.

2 Likes

I have a SVG file to engrave in black, but the k40 does’t recognize the colour, any idea?

Hi and welcome to the forum😃
What kind of laser do you have and what control software are you using?

Laser CO2 ensambled in Argentina, I’m not sure the model or type, the software is K40 0.62 and Inkscape 1.12, I don’t know if you need more specifications. We were trying to engrave and cut plexiglass, the file has 52 medals, but when I opened with K40 doesn’t recognize the black. But then I made the file with 12 medals and it recognizes perfectly. (Sorry my English)

I forgot, the first file with 52 the area was 600x900 like the laser machine area. But the 12 medals file was 300x400 (mm)

Inkscape is not the laser control program, but it’s probably being used as a plugin. Is the program you are using called K40 Whisperer by chance?

A standard K40 has a working bed size of about 300x220mm. Can you provide a picture of your laser? I suspect that you may possibly have your bed area set too high.

1 Like

The other thing to be aware of besides the design fitting within the real working area of the machine is that when raster engraving the laser head moves side to side at high speed and it needs time to stop and start so while the design might be 300(x axis)x220(y axis) the laser head may need an extra 20mm on each side of the axis which would mean the design really occupies 340mm and some control software will know this and disallow operation. The typical K40 laser cutter/engraver has an X axis range of 300mm maximum.

1 Like