PrintrBot Simple Metal Metric Z Conversion Seems the end is near for the old

PrintrBot Simple Metal Metric Z Conversion

Seems the end is near for the old school PrintrBot Simple, so upgrading from the proprietary parts we probably won’t be able to get for much longer seems prudent.

GitHub page has the OpenSCAD source, STL, and some installation info.

Also up on Thingiverse:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2011148

https://github.com/MS3FGX/PBSM_ZNUT

Nice Mod! Do keep in mind that the coarser z-lead might give your automatic tram compensation a bit more visible aliasing (hoping that makes sense); just a theory though

Well done!! I have been thinking about doing a similar conversion too! I’ll have to show mine to the world. But you have done a great job documenting yours.

Yes, the new Simple has replaced the old but I am working on a retrofit that I think some will like :wink:

Btw, I love all my original Simple owners out there and will be stocking parts for a long time. I just made an order to my machinist for extra Z nuts just in case people need replacements.

Peace
Brook

@Brook_Drumm is the new simple metric leadscrew? I thought I saw it somewhere but can’t remember.

Yes, the new Simple has 8mm 4-start acme leadscrew! The bottom of the acme rod has a 5mm diameter section that mates to the z coupler.

@Brook_Drumm , just curious, why did you go with the solution instead of an integrated 8mm Leadscrew-stepper?

@Ishaan_Gov I went w the leadscrew + coupler because of cost and the ability to use any motor anywhere. Integrated leadscrew is a solid choice but no resolution advantage. We make a lot of machined parts so that doesn’t scare me. I’ve used an integrated leadscrew/motor mod on the Simple that work fine… but twice the cost and no real benefit. We tend to design everything really tightly and in minimal space - for better or worse- so the size of the off the shelf acme nut always bugged me. :wink:
Brook

@Brook_Drumm , gotcha, thanks for letting me know! The new simple looks awesome too!

Steppers with integrated lead screws are cool and all, but I’d rather have the modularity of separate parts that could be modified/replaced later.

This is a perfect example of why; if the rod had been integrated you’d need a whole new stepper to perform this conversion.

@Aric_Norine Your adapter is actually listed in the Acknowledgements for mine, as it gave me the original inspiration.

I liked your idea of mounting it above the stepper, but wanted to try and grab at least 2 screws through the brass Z nut for the sake of my own piece of mind. Plus the little white spacers always bugged me, so I wanted something that would do both jobs.