printbed surface preference poll.

I’ve been having good success lately with Magigoo on glass (heated) for PLA

Glass, strong hairspray!

Was printing PETG on a bare heated glass plate (85C) which was successful for a while in a mid-70F house. Started having problems closer to 70F and had to use some glue stick.

I think part of the problem is the temperature of the house, but also that PETG is a PITA to get that first layer down.

@James_Ray you put glue stick directly onto the heater? Are you using a silicone heater or PCB heater?

Glass with haïr spray it’s perfect even with ABS whithout hot bed…

Ordinary 4mm window glass, UHU glue stick for almost everything, ABS juice for when that fails. Haven’t used ABS juice for half a year at least, though.

wow thanks for all the great information everyone, very good poll so far.

data rundown to date:
133 voters, broken down into votes for each category (rounded to .5 for accuracy, interpret as you will):

58.5 voted PEI

34.5 voted Tape

17 voted Aquanet

23 voted Other

PEI seems to be rapidly expanding its presence in the printing community. A poll of just the hard surface laminated to the bed solutions might be in order. I will at some point extract from the posts in the thread a list of those, but if anyone else wants to do it, someone with deep knowledge of the various solutions out there, go for it!

A good follow up to this would also be a spreadsheet of the solutions, the expected lifespan of one ‘coating’, and the cost. A cost per 10lbs of filament printed would really be great, how to come at that figure somewhat accurately needs to be worked out. If no one else does, I may do this before I make the build plate for my next printer, but I have a lot of printer assembly and maintenance to do, and other design work, so again if anyone wanted to do that before I get to it…

Borosilicate glass, heated bed with Pritstick glue works for me. (PLA) :grinning:

Glass + dimafix

I print mostly ABS on to a carbon fiber sheet.

@Adam_Steinmark PCB heater, but the heater is on the bottom surface of the glass build plate, the top is where I print, and put the glue on.

@James_Ray Ah you didn’t mention the glass.

Glass Build Plate Wizard works great and the prints release real easy.

Was using Pritstick glue on borosilicate glass for PLA but have found that printing on bare glass works fine and gives a polished finish. The print pops off with slight assistance once the bed cools.