Originally shared by Frank Herrmann I'm proud to present my XTC (eXtremly simple automatic

Originally shared by Frank Herrmann

I’m proud to present my XTC (eXtremly simple automatic Tool Changer).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHofj3efzfo&feature=autoshare

Nice… I can’t have my spindle go that slow…

@Marcus_Wolschon why? :slight_smile:

@Frank_Herrmann
2.5KWh water cooled spindle run via an VFR. I can try at some time but I don’t think the VFR starts up below 5000RPM.

Yes, i’m thinking about this topic. Other Friends ask also that i can handle a VFD controlled spindle. Maybe u make a test? Please drive forward extremly slow and try to stop the spindle with your hand, if this possile then we can bring this to fly :slight_smile:

NO, I WILL NOT TOUCH A RUNNING SPINDLE!
Even on the small 300W CNC and definately not on the 2500W one.
EVER!
I have installed a glass shield and large e-top buttons to make shure to never be near it.
(I didn’t get around to install an automatic e-stop if ever the spindle via it’s tool came in electrical contact with the frame or operator.)

BTW: Torque is an inverse function to speed in electrical motors.

Extremly slow means 10rp/second … ok i can test this.

So i found this comment at a forum: " I’ve just received my new 2.2KW water cooled spindle.
Now I have this spindle, and a Hitachi X200 inverter.
The very first tests that I did was seeing at what lowest RPM I can run it.
To my amazement, it was no problem at all running even it as low as 200RPM.
At first it had very little torque at this speed. "
This is what we need … very slow rotate and a little torque :slight_smile:

Cool; like the approach you’ve taken, sadly its not for me as i have a simple universal ac spindle. But maybe one day I will try to mirror your idea and power the socket for the collet nut; and use a solenoid to engage the main spindle’s manual brake.

Is there a spindle out there with a hole clear through the armature?

Frank I love your narration!! You have the same voice as a high class documentary narrator. “Watch closely as William takes his last breath as the Puma sinks his teeth deep into Williams jugular.” :slight_smile:

I had a better look at it.
This won’t work on my large CNC with the VFD spindle.
However on the small CNC with the DC spindle, it could work.

• How do you mount the collet in the spindle with that spring? What holds the spring in place and how is it attached to the collet?

• How do you control the spindle with maximum current = active break from within G-Code? You can’t have the spindle-driver stop at a certain maximum current while milling. (I guess one could have a spindle controller that accepts a PWM input like a conventional driver but activate and de-activate a maximum-current-instant-stop when the spindle hits a mechanical button mounted at the side of the machine.)

Do you have a blog with more details and links to the boards you showed?

@mark_hubrich Ha, thats a nice compliment!

@Marcus_Wolschon i put only the spring in this shaft, to hold this spring in center of this shaft i used a piece of “moosgummi” around this spring. I use a dc controller, he send the actual current to an arduino and he watch over max current and so on. Maybe i missunderstand ur question, please send me an email or we make a german hangout together :slight_smile: please check the github url in the videodescription at youtube. In chilipeppr i use a gcode file with special commands. i.E. "(chilipeppr_pause xtc T1), stay for toolchange for tool number one.

So it only works with Chillipeppr? (I have a hardware controller board controlled by Mach3 via USB.)

I’m thinking:

• a microcontroller-board takes the PWM spindle signal from the CNC controller board.
  • it runs the DC motor controller for the 48V 300W spindle
  • it also has a mechanical switch
  • when that switch is hit by the X+Y axis moving near the tool magazine, motor-current is limited.
  • a motor-overcurrent in that mode causes a powered spindle stop
    all the rest would be conventional XYZA movements + spindle direction change + spindle speed changes

Yes, just for cp. but yesterday i develop a screw and unscrew methode in Arduino, can u control a serial device in mach3?

@Frank_Herrmann
only my Spindle VFD via RS485 with a special MACH3 driver.
I should be able to control a few relays.

Up to now I have considered this ATC:

http://www.usovo.de/shop/Fraes-Spindeln-Zubehoer/Vorsatz-Wechsel-Systeme/China-Spindel-Werkzeugwechsler/Werkzeugwechsler-fuer-China-Spindel::634.html
or
http://www.usovo.de/shop/Fraes-Spindeln-Zubehoer/Vorsatz-Wechsel-Systeme/Proxxon-Werkzeugwechsler/Werkzeugwechlser-fuer-Proxxon-BFW-40-E::536.html

however I can’t find a compressor with real 10bar that is small and quiet. (or an affordable solution using small compressed air bottles.)

I’ve been thinking about this. How well does it release the bit? It makes sense to me that while loading a tool, the spindle has zero current draw almost until the nut is tight. When initial torque is needed to loosen the nut, when it becomes loose does the spindle run away and nut flies off? I haven’t explored the vfd spindle yet. Is the low speed torque pretty good?