Originally shared by Drew Fustini (pdp7) PocketBeagle demos by Jason Kridner ​ of BeagleBoard.org

Originally shared by Drew Fustini (pdp7)

PocketBeagle demos by @Jason_Kridner ​ of @BeagleBoard.org ​ last night at @Kickstarter ​ for the @HACKADAY ​ NYC meetup

Can we expect the SGX drivers for android? 4.2 bundle is bit outdated you know :slight_smile:

@Jason_Kridner @Robert_Nelson : what is the latest for using SGX?

Same as the all the other bones.

@Robert_Nelson what is the best place to point people for installing/using the SGX module?

Right now, they need to contact ti directly… For the PocketBeagle, i only have v4.4.x-ti/v4.9.x-ti kernels ready, which means they need to run ti’s sdk with wayland…

@Robert_Nelson thanks for the info

@Drew_Fustini_pdp7 For linux - 1.10, but I’m asking for android ones (mean the HAL libraries, etc) -> it is/was taken from rowboat project - 1.8 (AFAIR) which is the only kernel 3.2 compatible (because of omaplfb implementation). Also I see there is no public releases of the android SGX SDK from TI :(, so than the only option for android-4.4+ (AFAIK) is to use android software renderer (by using parameter qemu=1)

@Andy_Panda ah ok. @Andrew_Henderson @chris_simmonds @Jason_Kridner any suggestions?

+Andy Panda @Drew_Fustini_pdp7@Robert_Nelson@Jason_Kridner ​ : as part of my Android 4Beagle project (http://2net.co.uk/android4beagle.html) I have images for KitKat 4.4.4 with sgx libraries, running on the TI 3.2 kernel. I also have Lollipop and Marshmallow running on Robert’s 4.1 kernel, but using software rendering. I am working on porting the SGX drivers to Marshmallow, which is possible I believe. But I don’t have a working build yet. If anyone could shed some light as to what goes on inside gralloc.omap3, I would be extremely interested.

@Drew_Fustini_pdp7 Since the Pocket doesn’t expose the LCDC pins for a parallel video data bus, I’m not sure how useful SGX will actually be. I think that using a serial SPI-based video solution is probably the only practical option, unless SGX can render into a framebuffer provided by a USB-based video interface. I haven’t tinkered with USB video on AM335X platforms, so I’m not sure how practical it is to get it integrated with SGX.

@Andrew_Henderson good point. I’m not familiar with the pocketbeagle, but without an interface for video out the status of the SGX drivers is moot. Of course, it would probably be possible to write a framebuffer driver for usb video, but … probably not worth it.

@chris_simmonds Probably I can assist/help you on that topic since I had some previous experience with SGX (but for omap4 platform). However taking into account the complexity of the SGX SDK, I would rather ask one more time TI/whoever for ready-to-go solution (if any of course)

@Andrew_Henderson You’re right, the parallel output is missing, however, the main benefit of the SGX drivers is accelerated GL rendering and also it means unloaded CPU as well. It’s like riding a car without fuel, you still can ride it, but only from the hills :slight_smile:

@Andy_Panda I don’t doubt the SGX would still be useful, as I use it for my 2-D applications for scaling an internal logical screen buffer to arbitrary physical display sizes via texture mapping. What I don’t know if whether the SGX is dependent upon the TILCDC driver, though. If the SGX rendering directly into the framebuffer is independent of the framebuffer driver being used, then we could try to get it rolling with a SPI-based display or a USB video dongle. If it is directly tied to logic in the TILCDC, though, we’re dead in the water.

Running Android “things” would be a better option, then pure Android…