Originally shared by Alan Lord Hopefully I can get some time over the weekend

Originally shared by Alan Lord

Hopefully I can get some time over the weekend to play with my new boards… I managed to solder one up for testing but not powered it up yet.

A Capacitive Soil Moisture sensor with built-in esp8266.

Nice to have a link to something more than just photos from here. Anyway, photos are very good! :wink:

Not yet, but it will go up on Github once I’m happy with the design.

wheres it from ?

@Chod_Ddles Where’s what from? The board is my design based on some other peeps ideas. The boards I had made at Seedstudio.

what is it for? Waterlevel monitoring?

@Moritz_Munst “Soil Moisture sensor”

@Alan_Lord ​ nice :slight_smile: But i don’t see exposed metal to measure resistance… Does it work capacitively? That would be pretty cool!

@Moritz_Munst Yes. It is Capacitive. That is why I wrote “A Capacitive Soil Moisture sensor” :wink:

The design will be up on github fairly soon.

lol I totally didn’t see that line :smiley: thx! Great project! :slight_smile:

I’ll be interested in how the lcx14 is being used. I can see the wiring, but I still don’t understand it :grin:. Do you have a capability for an external aerial there as well?

@Richard_Vowles The lcx14 is a package of 6 inverter gates with schmitt triggers. This design uses three of them. It basically converts the analogue oscillations of the capacitive plate to a digital square wave which I can use as an interrupt on a GPIO of the ESP8266 and simply count the pulses.

The ESP I am using is the 12-F which doesn’t have a connector for an external antenna. Other versions of it do I believe, but I have not had WiFi issues with these in my other devices.

@Richard_Vowles This is the one I used: https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/schmitt-trigger-inverters/7390123/

Hey @Alan_Lord , how is your project going? I saw you posted some photos of your peppers in the meanwhile, but i couldn’t find your sensor in those photos :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Are you still planning to put the design to Github? Cheers, Moritz

@Moritz_Munst Yes, it is on Github (and some other projects too). The sensor works - kind of. But I need to spend some time working on the insulation material for the probe (It seems like epoxy is the best solution from other peoples’ experiences but now my plants are out and I am busy I don’t have much time to experiment…)

cool! thanks a lot :slight_smile: