OMG, a beautiful purple from OSH Park waiting on my desk when I arrived

OMG, a beautiful purple #PCB from @OSH_Park waiting on my desk when I arrived today! #Revolve is the next iteration in the #Replicape saga, an official Beagleboard (@Jason_Kridner ) cnc controller. Thank you @Drew_Fustini_pdp7 for the prototypes, looking forward to the assembly! #3dprinter Electronics news @Aleph_Objects +Seeedstudio Also thanks a million to @Michael_Welling for the board review!

Looking feature packed. I am excited to learn more.

It’s a smorgasboard : )

Very interested. have recently come across the Replicape. It compares quite well to the Duet. What’s the new features with this?

are you going to use gigabit ethernet, like the beaglelogic?

Step and direction pins for external stepper drivers? How many IO beyond endstops, thermisters and heaters? Printer controler or printer/ machinekit cnc controller?

Not gigabit Koen, I’m trying to keep the cost down, so my thinking is that 100Mbit is enough for a 3D printer.

From the github page, Alan:
1GHz Single board solution using Octavo OSB3358 SIP
6 TMC2130 stepper drivers, stall detection, over current/temp
4 Thermistor or Thermocouple inputs (runtime configurable)
4 high power heater outputs
4 GB fast eMMC
Optionally 2 external drivers
Direct coupled PRU lines to all drivers
Flexible PWM on all 8 MOSFET outputs for flexible EMC passing
4 USB host ports, 1 USB device port
10/100Mbit Ethernet
1080p HDMI
Smart power controls
Input voltage and current measurement
Power removed detection
Software defined over current protecion
Quad encoder input for filament sensor
Buffered end stop inputs, ESD protected connectors
2 Servo outputs
Inductive sensor input
Two Grove connectors, I2C and UART

@Elias_Bakken Nice spec.

I will now control myself and not ask you for when and how much :wink:

@Alan_Lord Haha! Great! I can say it will be ambitious both in time and price.

@Elias_Bakken on the original beaglebone we went with 100mbit because the phy footprint we could fit was cheap for 100mbit, but $30 for rgmii gbit. Of you don’t need tiny footprint AND rgmii the price difference isn’t that dramatic.
But still, it’s a difference that I guess most people don’t care to pay for their printer.

@Koen_Kooi I did some research on it with Jason, looked at the gbit on the Octavo reference board in particular and found that it really was a bit more expensive for the chip. I think the Ethernet connector and the crystal will probably also be a bit more expensive. Find me an option that competes with the $0.48 + $0.76 + 0.27 for chip, connector and crystal, and I’ll be happy to use it :smiley:

Awesome!

Can I buy a test board? My big printer would be really happy with a 6 stepper main board.

Beautiful! Can’t wait to see it in action.

@Paul_Chase It will be a while until we are ready with boards for beta testing, but we can try to set up a list for signing up as developer, I’ll check with the others!

How is the heat dissipation for all those stepper drivers? Do you have a plan for mounting a fan or heatsink?

For printing with high current, it will be necessary to add a fan above the board. For smaller printers, convection should be OK. I’ve not added mounting holes for an aluminum fin, but it might be worth considering in a later revision, board space permitting!

@Elias_Bakken sadly the KSZ9031 phy is €5 in volume according to mouser :frowning: