Ok so hopefully (fingers crossed) my first 3d printer is due in the next

Ok so hopefully (fingers crossed) my first 3d printer is due in the next week or two. A nice shiny new Prusa mk2s in kit form.

Having researched the build process i have noticed a few people having issues where the connect to the rambo board from the heat bed has melted. The general consensus that i have read is either the connection is not great or has worked loose because of the strain relieve on the cable not being good enough. This is making me consider an upgrade before i’ve even received it. This upgrade is to install a mosfet. (i was considering this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hrph-Printer-Heated-Current-upgrade-x/dp/B06ZYQN6VQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1498511647&sr=8-2&keywords=mosfet) Has anyone else done this and do you think this is a good idea or necessary on this printer?

I know i have read about soldering the heated bed wires directly to the back of the rambo board thereby removing the potential connector issue altogether. Whilst i’m happy working with electrics i’ve only soldered a couple of times (normally i would install crimped connections where needed) previously and would not feel comfortable making this connection.

Soldering directly to the board isn’t good, the solder actually makes it stiff and more like to experience fatigue. Just add good strain relief. Maybe get a cable chain.

First off, thank you for doing research first! Secondly, don’t solder directly to the board. Prusa seems to have properly rated terminals however it could be because the wires are working their way loose like you said. I would look for some crimp connectors designed to go in screw terminals. I just feel like they give a better more solid contact.

Thanks for the feedback. I will attempt without a mosfet and ensure the strain relief is properly done and may look at the crimp connectors . Good news is i had i nice email from Prusa today to say my printer has been shipped. :slight_smile: