ok, I am really thinking about pulling the trigger on getting an OX.

ok, I am really thinking about pulling the trigger on getting an OX. how much should of a budget should I plan to get a fully functional machine.

A note on size I am thinking I need at least 20"x 30" cutting area.

You can get a kit from smw3d for about $1200 or $1300 plus shipping. Then the electronics a few hundred dollars.

I did look at smw3d but I tend to get scared about dropping that much money with out a detailed list of what I am getting.

Well, I built my own by assembling parts. In retrospect, I think I would have saved $$ by getting the kit, but I don’t know.

You won’t have to cut the pieces, but you’ll still need the controller and drivers.

I’m not sure about the wires or other parts like cable chain, endstops, etc.

Either way, you’ll need a few tools. Not too much though. You’ll need to tap the ends.

You can save some money, but you’ll likely need to buy the pieces long and cut them to size.

For the extrusions, I don’t think you can find a lower price than that of open builds. Sometimes they’ll offer free shipping on special days

But you can save on the connectors, some places

George, what electronics are not included in the kit the site implies it is included?

Oh, maybe they are. I don’t know. I also saw free shipping there. You really can’t go wrong with that.

But you may want the 800 watt spindle, if you’re not going to use a router.

The 300 watt will suffice for a bit, but you may want more.

I purchased my Kit from Smw3d 2 years ago! @Brandon_Satterfield ​ has a very well put together kit! I ordered the electronics upgrade with mine… When it was all said and done the only thing I had to order was some endmills to get going

@Alex_Krause what is the electronics upgrade kit? is that something that was available 2 years ago and might be standard now?

I purchased the 750x1000 from SMW3D in December. The kit includes everything you needs except for the computer, software and USB cable. You may be able to save a little by purchasing the components separately but considering that I knew close to nothing about CNC, I am glad I purchased from Brandon as he has been tremendously helpful getting me up to speed on usage of the CNC. If I ever purchase another machine I would probably buy and assemble it myself, but for my first machine I’m glad I purchased from Brandon because of his excellent customer service. There are many things to learn no matter how much you read online and it was great to have a direct resource to turn to with specific questions.

You can certainly save money on the software because there are many free options available vs purchasing cambam, vcarve pro, mach3, etc. I use Fusion 360 for the CAD/CAM portion and either bCNC or CNC.js as the gcode interface for the machine. Fusion is free for hobbyists. If you are technically capable, you could configure/use a raspberry pi running bCNC as the computer interface to the CNC board rather that using a dedicated computer. That’s around $70 on amazon for the components. The software is open source and you would access bCNC via a web browser over your home network.

I also purchased from @Brandon_Satterfield and happy I did since I was also new to CNC. Although I could save a few buying the parts separate I don’t think it was worth it. There is plenty of work to add all the accessories the table and vacuum etc to take my time an money :slight_smile:

Running TinyG & Chillipepper+Cambam. Did my own wiring design and can share drawings.
I will eventually move to Fusion360 for all CAD/CAM once I am up the learning curve.

Came with power supplies and I build my own enclosures for power and TinyG.

Added drag chain, endstop switches and interconnect terminals.

I would advice twisted pair wiring everywhere there are switches and beefy 48V wireing to eliminate noise problems.

You guys are the whole reason for doing this. Thank you for the kind words and each of your valued feedback through the years.
@John_Cutburth_II click the link for the build instructions. They are broken out by step and items in step. This may assist for content of an OX kit, or if you decide to piece together.
Need any assistance along the way, you found the group!