OH!!!!! OOOHHHHH!!!!!! It just occurred to me that many of us lobbied President Obama

OH!!! OOOHHHHH!!! It just occurred to me that many of us lobbied President Obama to adopt the metric system, and he said no. WE SHOULD BRING THAT UP TO PRESIDENT TRUMP!!!

Retweet this:

You should add how many jobs would be created for people having to change the road signs and speedometer dials in the cars.

I’m a great believer in the metric system. If you can’t get full metrication, at least try for the most useful units. Look at the UK. It couldn’t be persuaded to part with the Pint but nuts and bolts are usually all metric.

@Duncan_Gunn plus we kept miles and miles per hour. 2 litres of milk is not much different to our old 4 pints (I think your quart), 1 KG of sugar is not much different to our 2 lbs of sugar. Metrification in UK was not painful. Worse part here was that Pounds shillings and pence got metrified into 100 pence in a pound, which you already have. Was much simpler than all the stupid hype.

Just to put into topic. It made RepRap 3D printers so much easier. I have a Metric Mendel Prusa, milli-metres are so much easier to work with that inches, purely because they are smaller.

@Trevor_Moseley yeah I made mine all metric. It made getting parts less than easy.

The very science our modern world is built on is practically entirely done in metric units, and I don’t think we’d have come so far if we had spent all our time leafing through conversion charts.

@Duncan_Gunn Oddly, electronics, specifically components are still imperial, most components are based on a grid of 1/10 inch. It is metric, but based on a grid on 2.54 mm! Who do they think they are kidding. It’s only recently moving to pure metric.

Now, you’re talking engineering. My average track width is 8mil (milli-inch, not millimeter).

My feeble attempt at making PCBs on my RepRap:

@Trevor_Moseley I like that you’re trying things and see that you are having some successes. I think the biggest issue people have when milling PCB’s is that things aren’t nearly flat at the level they need. I use photo etching at home or for the more critical stuff call a board house. Long gone are the days of horrific press-n-peel. There is something I keep meaning to try. I want to 3d print a solder paste stencil.

@Duncan_Gunn I’ve never used a board house yet :slight_smile: These days I use:
https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/press-and-peel-film-pcb-transfer-system-ab15r
Print onto film using laser printer, iron film to PCB, etch. Real quick and easy.

@Trevor_Moseley I used to use press-n-peel but kept on getting bubbles causing holes in larger copper pours. I did have reasonable success overall however. Tracks tend to be too thick with press-n-peel but too thin with photographic methods. If you want internal layers you want a boardhouse. Take your pick :slight_smile: