No power on K40 laser

I recently purchased an “unused” k40 laser from a friend. I wanted to use lightburn so I updated to a Mini Gerbil 3 board. I was playing around with the laser for a couple hours and everything seemed fine. I happened to be looking through the laser cover/window when I heard a POP and I saw a flash through the hole between the laser work area and the area containing the electronics ( the hole is near the PSU ).
When this happened, the laser lost power. I have checked the power cord and the fuse. The power switch seems to be fine. I have 120v at the input connector to the power supply but the power light on the power supply is not on. When the power switch is on the exhaust fan comes on but the led lights and all other features of the laser are not working.

The only lights on the Mini Gerbil 3 that are on is led1 ( usb cable is connected ) and led3 ( usb coms successful ).

I suspect the PSU is bad but is there any additional debug I can try before ordering a be PSU?

I have the PSU with the white connectors. The model number on the PSU is jg-40w

Thanks in advance!

With the power on does the LPS fire with the button down on the supply?

Please post pictures of:

• as much of the wiring to and from the LPS as you can.
  • the control panel

Make sure the machine is unplugged then you can remove the LPS cover and check the fuse inside the unit.
Pictures of the internals of the supply would be helpful.

1 Like

Here are the pictures you requested. Let me know if you want more.
When I push the button on the supply the the LPS does not fire. The pwr light on the power supply does not come one. The led lights don’t come on and I can’t get lightburn to move anything or fire the laser.
I looked the lps over and I don’t see a fuse…at least not on the top side of the board.
As I said previously, the machine was working fine prior to hearing a pop and seeing a flash of light from the control side.

The machine has the mini gerbil 3 board installed and I was using lightburn software.

See the location of the fuse in red below.
With power off you can check the fuse with a DVM.

There is no continuity through the fuse so that’s at least part of the problem.
Can you give me the specs on the fuse or where I might purchase a replacement?

Thank you so much for your help!

My guess is that the bridge rectifier or the power diodes are bad. Also, there are power transistors on the bottom of the board that may have failed.
In my experience that failures are usually catastrophic and take out more than one component.

3 Likes

Based on your experience should I just replace the whole power supply?
If so, is there a replacement LPS that’s recommended?

Yes, I would replace the supply, I have tried to repair them and it is usually not economical. These supplies are consumables and you will end up replacing them at some point anyway.
These supplies are nearly all the same so I would find the best deal on Amazon etc.

1 Like

I’m looking at the 40w clouldray power supplies on amazon. They show three models A,B,C. I have the white connectors like models A and C but other than $20 I’m not seeing a difference. which should I go with?

Amazon.com: Cloudray 40W Laser Power Supply for CO2 Laser Engravers, Laser Engraver Power Supply 110V/220V Power Supply Replacement for 30W 40W Laser Tube Laser Engraving Machines(Model B) : Arts, Crafts & Sewing

Mark, the only difference I see is the grid on the fan.

Strangely Cloudray has two identically looking supplies on their site also but they are labeled one with an OG and one with a NW.

Even more strange they are both the same price ($49)
BTW I don’t know if the $ difference between Cloudray and Amazon is shipping or not.

I think any of these with the white connectors will be compatible.

1 Like

Thanks once again for your outstanding support. I searched some more and found this q/a:
Q: What is the difference between Model A to C?
A: Hello,There is no substantial difference between PSU A and PSU C, only the style is different, the only difference is that the fan layout of the two is different.
Interesting that the Clouldray price plus their shipping is the same as the Amazon price. but Amazon will arrive a few days earlier.
Regarding the 2 clouldray laser links you provided. One has the “green” connectors and the other has the “white connectors”

I guess I screwed up the links :frowning:

only because I did it on my first laser k40, did you pull out on the emergency stop

Thanks for the reminder!

New power supply arrived today. I’m up and running again.
Thanks again for all your help!

1 Like

Congrats you just joined the “Old LPS doorstop” club!
Glad you are back in operation.

2 Likes