New power supply - How to splice new red wire into exiting wire

My old power supply died and I just received a new power supply. The old supply goes directly into the laser tube, and I don’t want to mess with it. I’ve seen videos where people splice the wires together and put rubber tubes around them and electrical tape to insulate them.

The old power supply has been unplugged for about a week. Is it ok to cut the older wire for the new supply; I assume that everything should be discharged by now, but I like living so… :slight_smile:

Is there a better way, like a ‘quick disconnect’ that can be used so it doesn’t look bad with all of the tape and rubber hoses?

It is safe to cut the wire. To splice it, I would first slide a piece of rubber tubing over the wire. Then splice it, liberally lather silicon caulking over the splice, then slide the rubber tube over the splice. Wipe off all the excess, then let cure for 24 hrs. You should be left with a clean looking splice that is well insulated.

1 Like

You can also use high voltage connectors like these.

4 Likes

Thanks! I was able to get the power supplies swapt out and was able to pulse the laser!

4 Likes