My K40 has arrived. Notice anything glaring?

One thing I like about these is there is a power switch on the unit.

2 Likes

Thanks for the information. Is there consensus on what the best 12 volt power supply is that I can add?

Iā€™m sure there are lots of opinions on the ā€œbestā€.

For these type purchases I look by price and then read the reviews until I get the best price vs review.
I typically just look a the lowest scores for problem trends.
These supplies are almost a dime a dozen and quality varies all over the map.
I also make sure it can be returned and that is why I buy on amazon.

This is the one I use donā€™t know if it can be set up for 220V. https://amzn.to/3nDQUYH

3 Likes

Mean Well have a consistently good name, and they are available everywhere for reasonable prices.

3 Likes

Hi Dustin
I have a similar machine here in the UK. I have been using it for a few months now. It too did not come with a power cable, however like you I used one that I had to hand. The only problem I have experienced is with the interlock switches, they failed open circuit. I have now taken them out completly. I know that the theory is that if one lift the lid the laser switches off, however I found that the lid needs to be propped open about 1/4" to allow the extraction fan to properly suck the smoke out of the chamber. If the switches are in circuit one cannot do this. Just be careful. Other than the standard bed mods the machine is really good. I use it for about 90mins to 2 hours pretty much daily and have been doing so for about 3 months. I wish you wel with yours.

1 Like

Hello, thanks for your insights. I have found the interlock to be extremely twitchy. I bought new ones with rollers that I hope will work better. The seller refunded me a bit to pay for a cord. They also gave me a discount if I ever buy anything from them againā€¦

I bought the above adjustable bed. I am hoping that improves the quality of my cuts. So far, it is working out great. Do you have a business using it? Given the amount of use you get out of it, that is my guess.

1 Like

At risk of sounding like I know nothing, should I be paying attention to any particular specs when I look at these power supplies? I am fine going with a Mean Well one. The price is good and they are reputable. I am mainly looking to power LEDs and electronics that might be added later.

The LEDs should say how much power they require. You might consider getting one sufficient to cover all the 24V needs of the system (including stepper motors); that way when you replace the LPS (itā€™s a wear partā€¦) you arenā€™t limited to the low end of the market that integrates a 24V supply in the LPS.

2 Likes

A project for my daughter, Susan.

One pass 3mA vector engrave at 20mm/s
Two passes 3mA raster engrave at 100mm/s

Finished with BLO.

2 Likes

Hi Dustin

I made my own adjustable bed that can tilt so that I can cut bevelled edges. I donā€™t run a full commercial business, just a paying hobby. I also (pre Covid) ran an after-school model making club. I have designed and cut out several model cars and aircraft for the students to assemble. I also make a few bits on commision from various friends and contacts.
I note that you do not seem to have the smoke build up that I experienced, that is why I have to have the lid open by about 5 to 6mm. Perhaps you have a stronger extraction fan or more vents in the case, there does seem to be many subtle variations in the case.

2 Likes

So far I am impressed with the extraction fan that came with it. Once I have a hole in the wall to put a vent in, I plan to get a much better extraction fan. I am glad to hear how you use it. I am using it with my children and working on projects for them while I learn.

2 Likes

Especially if you have children using it I hope you have the interlocks in!

Yes I am the laser safety Police!

1 Like

There are interlocks in place and children are never left unattended.

4 Likes

I replaced the interlock that came with the unit. It didnā€™t hit the lid just right so it was very finicky. Well, neither did the one that I installed. I had to get creative to find a solution. Hopefully I can figure out the interlocks on the electronics and laser compartments in an easier way.

Can I remove the casters from the bottom of my case? I hate that it will move around when I nudge it.

Certainly ā€¦ i did not know they came with casters!

Here are some ideas on interlocks: https://donsthings.blogspot.com/2016/11/k40-s-interlock-breakout-board.html

3 Likes

I bought a temp gauge for my coolant. Can I snip the red and black pair and wire them into the psu? Not quite sure how to do it.

That gauge is either 5V or 12V, and your PSU has 5V and 24V available. If the gauge is 5V you are OK to tie it in to the 5V rail of the PSU as it does not draw much current. But if it is 12V you will require a separate power supply for it.

3 Likes

Looking at the picture, it appears to be connected to the 5V lines that would connect from a PC power supply, the yellow line is the 12V from a PC power supply.

3 Likes

Can you point us to the specs for that temp meter?
With more information we can be more specific.

I would not load down the 5V of the LPS any more, it is already running at a marginal level.
Sooner or later you will need more power choices for accessories.

I recommend coming up with a power strategy for your machine.

I do not use a nano but if it were I the power strategy would be

• I would add a multioutput Power Supply like this: https://amzn.to/39wpM8I
    • 24V to nano for stepper motors
    • 24V reserved for lift table steppers
    • 5V to nano for logic
    • 12V for cabinet lights, air assist & pump: control relays, temp controllers etc.

At the same time I would install fuses in these supplies.

1 Like