My interactive handrail. debugging phase!

My interactive handrail.
debugging phase!

Nice, how is the detection done ?

Very cool-- and yeah, what is the sensor setup?

@Mark_Kriegsman @Nathanael_Lecaude I made an array of 16 phototransistor with 2 IR LED for each. All the 16 analog signals are then multiplexed with a 4067 mux.

That’s quite wonderfully responsive. Super!

This is neat! I was thinking this could be done with a single Sharp infrared distance sensor. Would there be a reason why it couldnt be?
http://www.elecfreaks.com/store/infrared-proximity-sensor-sharp-2y0a710-p-658.html

@turgan_s I tried! I bought EVERY proximity sensors you can imagine to make it! even the very stable and quite expensive maxbotix was not good for distances greater than 2.5m with humans… I also tried with 2 sharp sensors (one long and one short range together), but the detection was too poor, not very stable even with hard (capacitor) and soft (running median) filter.
so I decided to change the detection method, and an array of photo sensors was the natural solution.

btw my strip is APA102. my first experience with addressable led.

Lots of work, well done. I also found disappointment trying to use maxbotix sensors for humans except at close distances. They seemed to get tricked by other flat objects.