My 3d printer prototype is now complete and has all the major bugs worked

gplus
(James Zatopa) #1

My 3d printer prototype is now complete and has all the major bugs worked out. The quality of the prints are on par with the best tuned printers I have come across. Now it’s time to digitize the design and build a beta model. Once I get to that point is anyone interested in buying a beta unit for testing?

(Sean Smith) #2

just curious, what purpose does the sharpie server? awesome build though, and it looks great quality wise

(Sean Smith) #3

just curious, what purpose does the sharpie server? awesome build though, and it looks great quality wise

(Eric Lien) #4

Bigger bed next?

(James Zatopa) #5

The sharpie is a very custom mod it keeps my wobbly hotend mount super tight :slight_smile: unfortunately it has been designed out of the beta.

The beta model will actually look quite a bit different and have a much bigger bed.

I have tested a direct drive and Bowden setup and have one more config to test. I really prefer a direct drive due to how good the prints look but I’m not sure it’s worth the added mass. I have a secret extruder setup I am going to try before I make my final decision.

(Eric Lien) #6

Just noticed the lead screws are gone compared to MRRF. Looks like gt2vbelt z now. Also looks compact. How are you liking it?

(James Zatopa) #7

Sharp eyes, I am using belts. I have found a way to get .1mm or better print height and not have the gantry drop when powered down. Prints look incredible. I don’t get any more z errors (ie wobble). I also don’t have problems with stalled motors and screw alignment over long distances.

I don’t think I’ll be using screws again any time soon. I’m not quite ready to release how I keep the gantry from dropping but I think that it will change people’s use of screws.