MCP23008 Breakout for prototyping

MCP23008 Breakout

I designed this breakout to assist me during prototyping my next version of the “RP2040 Emergency Mouse“. In that project, I used the SEEED Studio Xiao RP2040, along with a few other components to create a simple but effective computer mouse-type device.

While the “mouse” works quite well, I have quite early on discovered that it could be better. More on that in a follow-up article, but let us just say that I needed more GPIO pins than that were available on the XIAO RP2040 and that the layout can be improved a bit – especially If I want to get it into an enclosure.

I am still quite neutral about CircuitPython and Micropython on microcontrollers, and Python in general, but since the above-mentioned project runs completely on CircuitPython, it made a lot of good sense to get more into it.

What is on the PCB?

I wanted something as small as possible, and that meant that I chose a QFN package for the MCP23008 IO expander chip. At only 4mm x 4mm, and not being bothered to try and find a DIP version, a breakout board became a much-needed necessity.

Address Selection Jumpers, Two I2C bus headers, and of course the all-important GPIO pins make up all of the user accessible interfacing. Note that the chip reset line is permanently tied to Vcc to make things a bit less cluttered, and easier to use while prototyping.

A decoupling capacitor, as well as pullup resistors on the I2c lines, were also included. Another note here, I did not provide my usual selection jumper to disable these on this particular board.

The Schematic

Manufacturing the PCB

The PCB for this project was sponsored by PCBWay .

Disclaimer:
Clicking on the PCBWay link will take you to the PCBWay website. It will enable you to get a $5.00 USD voucher towards your first PCB order. (Only if you sign up for a free account).

Assembly and Testing

Due to the small size of the QFN package, I strongly recommend that you either have this assembled professionally, or at least consider buying a stencil for applying the solder paste to this board. Maybe those with excellent eyesight can do without that?

Assembly took only a few minutes, with the help of an extremely accurate stencil, followed by a few minutes on a hotplate, and manually soldering on the header pins.

Using the MCP23008 with CircuitPython

I2C devices are very easy to use with the Arduino IDE or similar, and as such, I will not be covering that here.

Circuitpython, however, is gaining popularity, and I am slowly starting to see what the hype is about myself…

So, to get started, you need a microcontroller running CircuitPython – See Adafruit for excellent tutorials. You will also need a few libraries from Adafruit
See this link

I will give a very simple example below, showing how to set a pin as an output, as well as an input with internal pullup resistors enabled. Note that the MCP23008 DOES NOT SUPPORT pull-down resistors internally. You need to add those by yourself externally.

# Initialising all the required libraries
import board
import busio
from digitalio import Direction
from adafruit_mcp230xx.mcp23008 import MCP23008
i2c = busio.I2C(board.SCL, board.SDA)
# Adding the MCP23008
mcp = MCP23008(i2c)
# This assumes that you are using the default address [ i.e. all address 
# pins are grounded]
#
#
#
# Defining two outputs on pins 0 and 1
pin0 = mcp.get_pin(0)
pin0.direction = Direction.OUTPUT
pin1 = mcp.get_pin(1)
pin1.direction = Direction.OUTPUT
#
#
# We can now control the pins by setting them to true or false, true being 
# high
pin0.value = True
pin1.value = True
#
# and switch them off again by using
pin0.value = False
pin1.value = False
#
#
# We can also use the pins as inputs.
# We will activate the internal pullup as well
#
# first , we need another library
import digitalio
pin2 = mcp.get_pin(2)
pin2.direction = digitalio.Direction.INPUT
pin2.pull = digitalio.Pull.UP
#
#
# Reading the pin value is now as easy as 
pin2.value
#
# This will return True if the pin is high ( its default state with pullups # activated, of False if pulled low, by for example a switch of button )

Conclusion

The breakout works as expected, and it is very easy to use with CircuitPython.
I can now continue with the actual integration and Software for the RP2040 Mouse Rev 2.0 project.

2 Likes