Low Power Dust Extraction

I use a dust extractor in my workshop, but it is 1kW and rather over the top for dust extraction on a small cnc. Has anyone bought or built a lower power unit? even better if it was quieter? I was wondering what could be done with 100W?

I just use a small shopvac. I would guess 600 W is still to noisy but I live with it.

I have a 4" inline fan used for grow op ventilation with a cyclone dust separator on a 5 gallon bucket between it and the dust boot. Everything gets dropped into the bucket, and very little noise. The shop vac thing was too frickin loud for me.

2 Likes

You could try a shopvac with a speed controller. Since those cheap shopvacs use brushed AC motors, you can use one of those inexpensive triac-based SCRs/dimmers/speed-controllers from Amazon/Ebay.

Some people put their shopvac in a box (see: YouTube etc). That works, but you have to take into account how the motor is cooled. If it’s a dry vacuum, all the air it pulls is pushed through and around the motor. If it’s a dry/wet one, there is a separate fan for cooling the motor with ambient air. Either way, tape a temperature sensor to it and see how it goes.

1 Like