Looking to buy my first project laser engraver/cutter.

Looking to buy my first project laser engraver/cutter.

Is the “EleksLaser-A3 Pro 2500mW” an ok choice or is there better options on a budget?

Update:
Looks like I have been removed from this community due to me purchasing a cheap open frame unit and talking about trying to set up the hardware. I will still try to install LaserWeb on it even tho the new version is a bit different then the ones that have been previously done.

What is your budget?

probably about $400 max, with shipping to the US probably a bit more for something that is a good quality product or can really cut.

Just saw this unit, has anyone tried it?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/15w-metal-laser-engraving-machine-metal-carving-machine-big-power-laser-engraver-christmas-gift-DIY-metal/32771098814.html?

15 watts and metal engraving from what looks like a laser diode. Might be worth waiting if anyone here has any experience with this machine.
All I can recommend is that an open structure and that power is definitely not something to be taken lightly. Especially since they show engraving directly onto shiny metals. I would be putting a metal enclosure around that thing before I even thought about turning it on.

Stay alert and safe.

The electronics of this laser engraver (not an EleksLaser) is proprietary, you will not be able to use any alternative software! The distributed software is working well for foto engraving. I have a machine with this controller, but I changed it to Arduino + CNC-Shield to work with LaserWeb :slight_smile:

Real EleksLasers would have a EleksMaker Controller with an Arduino Nano on top, which can be flashed with actual Grbl firmware.

The 15W power is max pulse only! This is probably 3-5W continous. Enough for engraving, but not enough for realistic cutting.

With your budget, you could probably get a K40 CO2 laser (after Christmas).

Thank you all for the feedback. I am tempted to try the cheap ($229) 2500mW unit to do some basic engraving and then if the K40 drops down to <$400 after shipping pick one up.

What needs to be done to make the K40 work with LaserWeb and be functional for cutting thin wood?

Where is the preferred place to buy a K40?