Looking for any help you can provide.

Looking for any help you can provide. I have had my OX for a little over a year that I purchased from SMW3d, but have not had much time to do anything with it because we had a new baby. I am starting to get some free time now and have been trying to get to the garage to play around. I have been having issue with consistency. I am having issues with missed steps and incomplete projects. I have been trying to cut a series of 1/2 holes in a piece of MDF to make a scissor holder for my wife. Every time i run the program i get a different outcome. I have not had one time that it could complete the cut of one hole all the way through with out binding up. This then throws off the rest of the cuts. I have tried to slow the feed rate down to 20, but still the same problems. I am using Chilipeppr to send my G code and Vcarve pro to create my projects. Attached are the settings on my Tiny G.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

How tight are your belts? When I first started with my ox I put the belts too tight and had similar issues. Also can be caused by being too loose. It’s kinda one of those things, you go by feel. You don’t want it like a guitar string, and you don’t want to be able to lift it out channel in the v rail. Settings look ok, I have always used 1/8 stepping, so possibly this could also be your problem.

When drilling your holes are you using the drill function of vcarve to make your path or are you using the drilling cycle?

Are you working in inches or mm in vcarve?

Also, are your holes dimensionally accurate that you have made? If you jog 100mm does it actually go 100mm?

Mark, I am running GT3 belt and it is pretty snug. I tighten it up a few weeks ago when it start to slip on the pulleys and lose steps. I can try and loosen it up some today. I will get the accuracy again today and make sure it is not out of cal, everything was good when i first set it up.

Alex, am just using a normal carve function, i am using a .250 end mill and it routes out .500 circles to a depth of .750, in about 7 passes. The first 4 to 5 passes cut good, then it binds and throws everything off. I am working in inches with both vcarve and chilipeppr.

Two things I had issues with - in addition to over tensioning the belts (mentioned already) - Check you have the current adjust on your driver board set correctly and also check that the pulley grub screws on the gantry stepper motors are tight. They are hard to tighten, like to come loose and cause unexpected binding as the gantry will get twisted out of square and bind. I recommend to use “loctight”, thread lock or a tiny drop of super glue on them :slight_smile:

@JSY11 ​ I had a ton of issues cutting circles (arcs) using the post processor Vectric offers for tinyg… The problem was lessened designing and running CP in mm mode… Finally did a bit of editing to the post processor that Vectric uses to eliminate G2 moves (0. Rounding issues I assume) and cutting circles in a series of tiny straight line G1 codes

Thanks all, going to try these tips in the next few days, will let you know how it works

@JSY11 ​ what endmill are you using?

After thinking about it are you using a pocket cut? Or a profile cut tool path?

I am using a two flute 1/4 inch endmill. I am doing a inside the line cut on the .500 circle. I have been doing a lot of reading on here and found some great ideas to try. Hopefully get sometime this weekend.

Mark, I ran some tests tonight and yes, if i tell it to go 100 mm it is dead on for all axis.

Has anyone ever had a problem on the tiny G with the Z axis only going one way no matter if you jog plus or minus? Had this happen tonight while running chilipeppr.

@JSY11
This will happen on two occasions.
You have just adjusted your TinyG settings via CP. first few clicks everything may only go one direction. Normally fine by 3rd click.

Other is you have a wiring issue to the Z. This could be related to your issue above.

I ended up changing out my TinyG for a parallel port board. I went with a sainsmart and am using Linux cnc. Everything is running much better and quicker response. I am very happy with this setup, next I am going to switch out my belt drives for screws.