Layer height comparison on a stock Printrbot LC v1 with identical Slic3r settings except

Layer height comparison on a stock Printrbot LC v1 with identical Slic3r settings except for the difference in layer height. Printed in Printrbot Bubblegum Pink PLA. I’ve been pretty satisfied with 0.32 mm and 0.2 mm layer height print quality. Probably need to play with retraction settings to clean up prints at lower layer heights.

I designed this print as a give away for 3D printer demos. It is a Boolean intersection between the 3D characters and a half sphere. It is intended to show off the layered nature of 3D prints. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:100820

Considering the following possible upgrades: fan, GT2 belt, metric z-axis rod, aluminum bearing blocks to replace zip ties, aluminum print bed. Not sure how much any of the upgrades will create noticeable improvement in print quality.

I’m nowhere near printing yet but I would love to see more posts like this. +1

yeah a fan would definitely help. you’ll notice an instant improvement with a fan when printing with PLA.

Very useful post, what temperature are you running?

@Jonathan_se5a_Sorens Should fan blow on printed plastic or hotend holder (j-hotend holder)?

You’ll want a fan on the output plastic, but if you don’t have a fan on the j-head’s fins you might consider that as well if you’re having any issues with jamming.

Extrodnary

@Jason_Gullickson Printed on Printrbot LC v1 at 185C for PLA. Temperature varies slightly between different colors of filament. Usually in 185-195C range.