Just wanted to thank DIY CNC for accepting my request for membership to the

Just wanted to thank DIY CNC for accepting my request for membership to the community. As my son is getting older he’s starting to get into 3D printing Drones and more hands on building electronics circuits and everything that comes with it. Most importantly with his old man. The thing is now were finding the need for a cnc machine and we would love to build one of our own. I’m use to using my hands and am struggling with the software that seems to be a big part of today’s projects. I hope that we can contribute with useful and helpful information. Once again thank you to the community. Any any information will be helpful.

How do you plan to drive your CNC machine? chilipeppr? linuxcnc? mach3/4? There is another, it starts with ‘t’, I can’t come up with off the top of my head. Actually, I am sure there are a number of others. I am just listing the ones I can think of.

That’s what were stating to find out our self. Were to start what to look for in a good CNC design? The right equipment,programs and basically were to start. We have seen all different version and we are working with Drones and do 3D printing. And my son is starting to do electronics with me. So it would be great to have even more then one if necessary. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Hackaday ran a short piece on building your own CNC. You need to have a reasonable idea of how big a machine you might need and what you want to cut.

Welcome John, I hope the community is of use to you.

Thanks Richard. Kyle that is a helpful suggestion and probably makes sense. So far I know we’ll be cutting plastic, acrylic,and circuit board material pcb boards. Wood and copper,stainless steal aluminum basically light metals no more then 1/4 in.