Just got these in stock :) ESP8266 or ESP32 with an 18650 battery holder

Just got these in stock :slight_smile:
ESP8266 or ESP32 with an 18650 battery holder and charger…
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ESP8266-ESP32-Nodemcu-WiFi-Module-With-18650-Battery-Holder-/272794293765

good idea…

“If the battery is reversed, the charging chip will be destroyed!”

Sounds like this thing needs a diode.

@Byron_Jones , I suspect that the desinger was worried about the forward voltage drop and most people want to eek every last drop of power out of these setups. I know I do with my masks.

The last separate supply for these, reset the ESP when you disconnected the power - so I would ask the following… is the ESP immune from resetting when the power is removed and resumed? Will the unit charge the battery AND run the ESP at the same time? When the battery gets totally flat in a power cut, will the unit start to charge the battery and then turn the output power back on without manual intervention. These are questions that should be asked of every single vendor of such supplies as most fail one of the above. Interested to hear the response…

Thanks @Peter_Scargill , let me check and get back to you…

Cool! Battery is really important! But I think two 1.5v batteries will not last too much, 'cause ESP is like an energy vampire with an infinite thirst.

@Ivan_Avalos ​, you’re right, that’s why this case holds an 18650 lithium ion battery.

@Jeremy_Spencer Oh! I thought that case holded two conventional 1.5v batteries.

@Ivan_Avalos depends how you use it

@Peter_Scargill Yeah, that’s right, but in some cases, you need long battery duration.

@Peter_Scargill , sorry for taking so long to answer your questions. I’ve been really busy making my ESP8266 powered infinity mirror masks and have only just found time to play with one.

ESP immune from resetting when the power is removed and resumed? Yes, it doesn’t reset.

Will the unit charge the battery AND run the ESP at the same time? Yes it will.

When the battery gets totally flat in a power cut, will the unit start to charge the battery and then turn the output power back on without manual intervention? Yes, it will. (I haven’t had time to run a battery flat but if you remove the battery with it switched on, and then re-insert it, the unit powers up and runs fine.)

@Peter_Scargill , just finished a run flat then recharge test. The board powers down when the battery is flat and then powers back up again when the battery reaches a certain point. Sorry I didn’t have time to measure the voltage. Maybe another day.

I apologise for running out of the ESP32 version, but DHL delivered more yesterday :slight_smile: I also got a few ESP32 18650 OLED boards.