I've made some significant updates to my propeller design software.

I’ve made some significant updates to my propeller design software. It now uses spline based geometry. This allows me to make the smooth curves you see here. The geometry of this 3D printed propeller is automatically generated.

I’ve got a big idea for ducted fans… Stay tuned.

The big question that I have is do these stay attached/in one piece at speed?

That looks real interesting. Are you planning on sharing?

And balance, since most most hobby level 3d prints aren’t always uniform it may be a simple post calibration though. Cool though, I think I’d try a Tri blade.

@ThantiK ​, in my applications, they don’t spin fast enough and aren’t large enough for this to be a big concern. That said, propellers are dangerous, especially 3D printed ones. Always operate safely and responsibly. Noone wants to injure themselves, others or their equipment.

For strength, you have to make sure the layers are aligned along the blade. If the layers are aligned across the blade, there is no strength, and for sure the propeller will delaminate and explode. I had my 64mm 3D printed ducted fan rotor spinning at 25,000 rpm without problem.

@Philip_Stubbs_stuphi ​​​, I’m weighing my release strategy options for these propeller designs. I have a few propeller shapes/designs. I want to produce them for the most popular propeller sizes. I’m planning to produce a library.

@Kevin_Billett ​​​, the software can generate props with any number of blades! Want a 6-bladed propeller? Balancing will be interesting, keep you posted.

It’s heavily unbalanced. I will see if I can improve on this. This print is too unbalanced for me to fix. :frowning:

I’m wondering if you are going to test resin prints of this as well? What materials / printers have you already tried? I have an acquaint that milled propellers, http://www.dyvikdesign.com/site/research/fablab/greetings-to-fab8-from-mit-fablab-lyngen.html#more-962 used to contain some information about how they did it. @Jens_Dyvik ​​

@Asgeir_Mortensen ​​​, cool props those guys made. I’ve added @Jens_Dyvik ​​ to my following list. I’m not really planning on going down any other manufacturing route. I really have to resolve this balancing issue. If 3D printing propellers doesn’t pan out, I’ll just release the files and see what other people can do with my geometries.

By printing solid, and with a bit of sanding, I was able to balance the prop. That’s a relief.

This is a 7x4 propeller. That means the propeller diameter is 7" and the slope of the blade, or its pitch is such that, as a perfect screw, for 1 full revolution of the propeller, it pushes 4" of air backwards. This pitch of 4" is kept constant along the length of the blade. That’s why the blade is flattish at the tip and steeper at the root.

Forgive my use of english units, propeller sizes are still listed in english units here.

Pretty kool! :slight_smile: