It's a great time for 3D printing! New control boards, more user-friendly interfaces,

It’s a great time for 3D printing! New control boards, more user-friendly interfaces, faster machines - but aren’t we forgetting something?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PstOUPbMP8

You’re forgetting that 450mm/s requested speed is not the same as actual speed due to accelerations.
I’m also not seeing the user-friendly interface? It’s more a developer/hacker interface. Which is a whole different thing.

I does look a lot like an Ultimaker2. Which is flattering :slight_smile:

@Daid_Braam i checked, and the acceleration settings do allow it to reach that full speed on straight infill moves or on geometries that allow to printer to maintain some its speed. But as mentioned in the review, those speeds do not yield good results unless you’ve got the exact right set of parameters.
I did find the touchscreen faster to use than any display + clickwheel interface, but yes, it was most likely created by a software dev and not a UX/UI designer.

@Mark_Rehorst what kind of heater?

I wouldn’t use a silicone heater without a heat spreader. Hot spots are common.

The open source (or lack of) is a deal breaker. the interface looks really good but because of the source it means you’re at their mercy for updates. I particularly have a problem with them using very much open source foundations and quite honestly stealing it. just that would simply have me look elsewhere.

:kissing::grin::persevere::flushed::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

N

@Mark_Rehorst yeah, that’s a good approach. I personally put glass on silicone pads on the aluminum heat spreader and then three-point level the whole thing. Tooling plate is harder to use with the removable PEI beds I like (unless you get a fancy coated plate.)