It has been a bit since I used my Shapeoko2 and I need help

It has been a bit since I used my Shapeoko2 and I need help getting going again. I added an enclosure for the grbl with a fan on the enclosure, so I do not know if the wiring is right or not. I ran the serial-port-json-server script and it did not want to let me connect because of denied permissions. I added my user to the dialout group and tried again with no luck but I did not relog and it might not have taken affect or something. I ran the script as root and I could connect to it, but it said “offline” and I could not make it say anything else. Any advice?

“2017/02/17 16:04:45 bufferflow_grbl.go:375: Just wrote 1 bytes to serial: ?” which seems to be a problem getting data back according to https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/chilipeppr/r79YI2Ua9NI

After rebooting, I had the proper permissions to connect to the serial-port-json-server as something else than root. I still can’t seem to get data back from the port. It is obviously the right port because the motors tense up the first time that I connect to that port after plugging in the USB cord.

I tried different ports and cords and still no luck. I hope someone can help me figure this out. I mounted a new hand held router to the CNC mill with a quick release clamp, so I am anxious to see how well I can cut things now.

I do not seem to be able to flash the arduino with a fresh copy of grbl.
avrdude -patmega328p -Uflash:w:grbl_v0_8c_atmega328p_16mhz_9600.hex -carduino -b 57600 -P /dev/ttyACM0
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00

avrdude done. Thank you.

Are you using a grbl shield, or something else? Mine locks the motors as soon as the grbl shield gets power. So I’m not sure that the connection is triggers that. Can you try with some other serial terminal? Have a raspberry pi maybe? Then you can narrow it down to either the OS side or the hardware side.

I finally got it to work at some high baud rate using avrdude to write it.