Is there an need to adjust temps for different ABS Colours,

Is there an need to adjust temps for different ABS Colours, I always get good prints from natural but black gets a bit daggy like the temp or retraction is not quite right

In my experience even from the same supplier/manufacture best temperatures vary with colour. Butter smooth ABS silver settings are crap in black ! Test with 5 Celsius increments is a good starting point.

I’ve stuck to afinia abs religiously due to this issue. The problem isn’t gone, just managable while keeping the need to re-slice for different colors down to “almost never”.
Once I have a good print file on an SD card, I need it to work in any of my filament colors. The clear and glow in the dark afinia have gooey print characteristics… but again, managable.

Start putting a piece of masking tape on the side of the spool and jot down the effective nozzle size (after die swell) and the temperature you need. I need to start doing this myself since I keep forgetting.

Like @William_Frick said, test in 5C increments.

I have had 2 black rolls, a natural roll and an unopened yellow roll. The 2 blacks were from different suppliers and had different temp settings and both of those had different temp settings than the natural ABS. One of the black spools even had alot of oozing at a temp 20C lower than the printing temp.

I did some testing today and noticed that extruding a length of natural it is a perfect smooth filament, switch to black and it was lumpy/holes, ended up reducing the temp by 10 deg to get the same and prints perfect and the top layers the best I have had. I think the natural need to drop a little in temp as well.

I used to work at a plastic colorizing pellet plant. The coloring pellet additives have a lot of different ingredients, often including lower melt plastics (or plastic-like substances) to help them mix into the batch of naturally colored plastics.

Different manufacturers could use different additives depending on the type of properties they want for their product. The additives would change the plastic’s 3d printing properties greatly. My advice is just to find the plastic filament supplier that works best for you, even if the price is slightly higher for that color.

@N_E11 that explains the ooze of MonoPrice black ABS at 20C less than printing temperature.