Is it possible to program these at all remotely after they are initially setup?

Is it possible to program these at all remotely after they are initially setup? Mine aren’t going to be easily accessible after being installed, so a bit concerned about the pain of making programming changes later.

If you mean one with the NodeMCU firmware, not yet.

It’s quite complicated. You need a tcp/ip tty server on your PC and a watcher app on your ESP.

You can ota reflash the AT firmware, but you would need a way of controlling it and some custom firmware, including your app, for that to give you what you want.

What might work better is for your Lua app to watch a web address for instructions, or create a web server on the ESP that will allow you to download new code.

You would need a file infrastructure that supports your web page and the code you want to change residing in a separate file

Id personally prefer to use the Arduino ide, but thanks for the web server idea.

The problem with the Arduino IDE is there are few libraries and you don’t end up with much memory left.

Right, but ive already written everything in the arduino ide and tested it on my arduino, so i pretty much already have the functionality that i need and dont require any libraries. i get my esp’s next week, so we will see. Im open to whatever option is best though. Just using it to turn lights off and on through a toggle switch, power relay board, and remote commands.

The problem is size (ain’t it always?) to program OTA, you need twice the storage you are using -to duplicate, then overwrite.

So, the ATs can, the NodeMCUs can’t.