In Pearce, Beeker and Pringle’s study,

In Pearce, Beeker and Pringle’s study, open-source RepRap 3D printers – specifically a Prusa Research Mendel i1 and Michigan Tech’s MOST Delta – were used both to make components, and to test the finished slot die for its deposition ability.
https://3dprintingindustry.com/news/open-source-3d-printing-cuts-cost-4000-0-25-says-new-study-127484/?utm_source=google-plus&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=social-pug

Cool, but I don’t get what they’re printing?

+Peter Hertel: Ok, just from browsing the net, I’m no expert.
Industry wants to put uniform thickness, thin films onto things. Thin film of plastic over glass LCD screens for protection etc. There are lots of uses within lots of industrial processes. The mechanism for adding a thin film is called “Slot Die”.
The article shows how a group of 3D printers were used to create a single layer onto a plate, the layer was compared for uniform thickness (various thicknesses) and from the experiment it was decided that 3D RepRap printers could do the job well enough that they could cut the cost from $4,000 to $0.25.
They printed a liquid type syringe to go in place of the hot-end / cold end, similar to systems for printing in icing sugar (sugar frosting in USA) or clay. They then fitted this and used it to deposit thin layers using their printers.
But article is aimed at people who understand what “Slot Die” actually means and isn’t very clear without a lot of extra googling and reading.
As I said, I’m no expert.

@Trevor_Moseley Thank you, that makes sense now. Hope it’ll be adapted for use!