In need of glue vids that aren't rubbish

Most of the glue vids on youtube seem to be rubbish vids, with bogus results because of “substrate failure”. I would like to see actually scientific vids made with materials that do not fail adhesion because of the substrate. And the exact temperature and humidity measured for the duration of the glue cure time.

Example of one of the half-assed vids where it has a lot of substrate failures:

And my preference of glues:
I prefer North American glues or made in China glues because European glues cost 3x more for me. And the types of glues I like are construction adhesives, super glues, and PVA glues. I do not use epoxies because its too toxic to breathe and it is weird having to mix 2 glues.

I understand your frustration. Below is a link to a paper and a quick summation of what the paper is and you can see that there is a lot of complexity to what you are seeking.

As you have already noted, there’s a lot of noise but little fact when it comes to the videos on YouTube.

I wish you luck in finding the information and if/when you do, please share it with us.

1. Rheology of adhesion failure The science of deformation and flow of matter is
    generally referred to as rheology. Rheology plays a vital role in the study of adhesion processes, including the application of viscous adhesive liquids, surface flows, penetration into narrow gaps, diffusion Over interfaces, solidification, and associated internal stresses. However, this issue does not focus on them: the stress distribution involved in adhesion systems according to conditions (such as tensile or shearing, bending or twisting, and splitting or peeling forces) is clarified by material mechanics, while problems involving fractures are solved by fracture mechanics. (Nevertheless, both have limited application, constrained by the theory of elasticity.)
    Rheology deals with the problem of change in forces on adhesion systems, depending on velocity; or if loading is repeated, depending on loading frequency. Since no loading is possible without velocity or frequency, and since polymer materials are typical viscoelastic bodies, this aspect cannot be ignored when discussing the strength of adhesion systems.
1 Like

Lol ty

“Since no loading is possible without velocity or frequency, and since polymer materials are typical viscoelastic bodies, this aspect cannot be ignored when discussing the strength of adhesion systems.”
What do they mean by frequency? Loading requires pressure and should always have near 0 velocity. If it has velocity then the adhesion is failing

Frequency is how often a force is put upon the bond.

It might not fail the first time a force is applied upon it but additional forces might weaken the bond.

I find that the literature provided by manufacturers with regard to adhesives specifically is quite informative. The data you want is probably already available, you just have to go get it from the manufacurer’s website. Titebond for instance already has Bond Strength reported (with ASTM test results, not some hokey test jig with limited repeatability)

Titebond’s literature is here: Titebond

2 Likes

yep yep

i read the pdf though its too academic for me lol i dont understand a word of it i just want some scientific vids

for example this random product on amazon i dont see any psi listed and on their website i see no psi listed anywhere, in a rational society all products would have datasheets listed with the product listing and easily accessible
https://www.amazon.com/Professional-Grade-Cyanoacrylate-Glue-Masters/dp/B00WHEM0UA
a lot of products are like this with no datasheet, or they provide some information but it is missing vital bits of data

how do i put a multiquote in this

Yup, I looked at the Gluemasters stuff a month ago and couldn’t find any technical data. They have an “SDS/TDS” menu entry on their web site but I can’t find a single TDS there. So I passed…

I’ve been buying the Fastcap 2P10 glues, they work well and the flasks remain functional for a long time (when too much hard glue accumulates at the tip I take some linesman pliers and break it off). I actually managed to finish one of the 2.2oz bottles, everything else has always hardened on me before I could finish it. Oh, TDS: https://www.fastcap.com/files/catalog/2P-10-TDS.pdf

Other brands that cater to professionals also tend to have decent info, like Permatex, Loctite, 3M, etc.

1 Like