I'm new to FastLED and I love the limitless possibilities, however,

I’m new to FastLED and I love the limitless possibilities, however, I’m wondering if there is a better resource to learn the depths of the library than simple youtube videos that don’t really go that in depth into the library. I’m also stuck with the FastLED documentation page because I often find that there is’nt enough explanation with some of the functions and i end up just getting lost and confused. I’m trying to create a 3D icosahedron infinity mirror (same shape as the D20 dice) and I’ve written some very simple animations but i cant seem to progress further from here without copy and pasting some one else’s code. I want to be able to better understand the library so I can write many animations that gradually change from one to the next. I also want to add sound reactivity and maybe a ps4 controller. My main inspiration comes from the Deeplight created by Neil Merchant which I’m sure most of y’all have heard of. If you want any more information on what I’m trying to create, I’ve written an in depth project outline that details most of my goals for the project and I’m happy to share it and collaborate with anyone willing to help!

Where are you with the physical build of this thing ? How many LEDS per edges ??

@JP_Roy I haven’t started on the construction yet. I’m working with some friends to figure out the geometry of the solid as well as the optimal path to wire up each led strip. I was thinking about 20 leds pet edge

@Will_Norton So with 30 edges that is 600 LEDS… You should seriously consider parallel output with the OCTOWS2811 that piggyback on the Teensy.

Another option is the ESP32 that is reported to also support parallel output, even up to 16 but I have never worked with it myself. Note that it also has wireless control capability built-in !!

I am not a programmer but if I were to take on that project, I would not worry about animations much at this point. The bulk of the difficulty has to do with the hardware design and build of that thing…

Good luck this is an awesome undertaking !!

It might be fun to work out how to show the dodecahedron as the duel. I have used ESP32 with LEDs, the DacAudio lib, OLED, two touch switches, hall sensor, battery power sensor, BLE (with app) and more all working smoothly with FastLED lib.

Mapping the 12 notes system (MIDI note info not FFT sound reactive) to the dodecahedron can create interesting patterns. Good power management on the ESP32. The icosahedron and dodecahedron have some fun properties that LED could… illuminate. :slight_smile:

I love the project concept.

Agree with JP Roy, the octo and teensy 3.2 or 3.6 seems like a good place to start on hardware. THe OCTO board makes wiring much easier and throws in appropriate resistors and a level shifter to make the LEDs happy.

For me, the only way to really understand the power of FastLED and some of the sister packages (LEDMATRIX for example) was to get in there and start using it. This is the right place to ask questions as you run into questions. Folks here are very helpful.

For sound reaction, if you want to use a mic, then I recommend you look at the audio adapter board from PJRC (the same folks that make teensy) and add in the optional mic and thumb wheel. I use these with line input to drive animations but have tried the mice with success. While it is possible to run the sound analysis and led show from one teensy, I use a separate teensy to manage the audio processing and then send the data over to the teensy driving the LEDs. In part this is because I am often driving 4096 LEDs and that leave little time for the sound package.

https://www.pjrc.com/store/teensy3_audio.html

For the two way Mirror i would suggest something around 10% light transivity. I used 12% which was a good result i would say… and i only had good results with glass mirrors. which is not really light wight. I tried also foils but the result was not even close as good.

I had hard times to find a manufacturer who makes me a 4 mm 12 % tempered glass two way mirror. in your case because of the wight i would probably even look for a 2mm glass…

I was happy that i used the octows shield in my project. the wirering is so much easier;)

and i could provide to you my animations i used in my infinity mirror Project. Its here in the video description

You can implement 4. G anf F and provide me a update :wink: i was looking into that but didn’t finish.