I'm nearly done gathering and printing all my parts for a shapeoko 2 following

I’m nearly done gathering and printing all my parts for a shapeoko 2 following the “big” plans for a 4x4. I really haven’t seen any comments if the larger sizes are more obnoxious or annoying (or worth it) and wanted to double check before I commit this January.

Also one thing I have not ordered is the router or spindle. I’m seeing a lot of positive feedback for dewalt spindles, but not sure which model.

dw26200 if you are in the uk or dw611 in the US are extremely good routers to use as spindles

So, why not the Xcarve parts instead of SO2? And yes, I think the bigger machine is worth it if you have the room.

I agree with Frank, just be ready to double up on the X and Y axis. The added stiffness is needed due to the added leverage from the size increase. The min speed on the DeWalt dw611 is 16200+/- RPM meaning you need to keep the feed speed up to avoid heating up your cutters, but this also means added stress on the machine.

I had gathered most of the SO2 parts prior to 2015 - before the xcarve. Sticking to my guns and money I suppose…

What about the dw660 mentioned on the xcarve?

i use the dw660… works great. i think the xcarve actually uses the dwp611 though. I think both would work well. See Bart’s spreadsheet here: https://discuss.inventables.com/t/x-carve-spindles/9280

Thanks for the link - Reading that I’m now hedging on dwp611 for the moment. Fairly inexpensive too.

One advantage of going with a common spindle is more attachments and mounts and things available for it. I don’t think you can go wrong with either of those Dewalt spindles. Inventables sells mounts for both of them. Lots of community mounts too.