I'm looking at using the parallel output code for a 64x48 WS2812 display (using

I’m looking at using the parallel output code for a 64x48 WS2812 display (using multiple controllers) but I’m wondering if there’s any way to run that code on other micros than the Due, DigiX or Teensy 3? The first two are too expensive and I would need 6 of them since they only do 8 channel output. The Teensy 3 could do 16 channel, so I’d only need 3 and it is much, much cheaper… but I’m trying to keep the project 100% open source, which rules the Teensy out. I’m guessing no… but I wanted to check.

Could you chain some of the rows (or columns) together? It makes it harder to get the effects you want but saves on controllers…

To a point, I could. I could probably do 2 rows with one Due board (128 LEDs per channel) but that would of course half my performance. Probably still enough… just trying to see how good I can get it.

I’ve used the Due and the Teensy for parallel output, the Teensy is much much faster. I’ve not used a Digix. I know it’s not open source but I’d use a Teensy or 3

Yeah… that was where my head was at. Part of my problem with the Due is also that, like every other official arduino, it’s USB Serial is really slow (60KB/s) compared to the Teensy (1.3MB/s)

No, parallel output really requires an m3/m4 class arm chip.