I'm going to build a new machine and I fancy an aluminium framed one

I’m going to build a new machine and I fancy an aluminium framed one something like the bukobot. Any suggestions? (Must be opensource)

How about the bukobot?

Isn’t the mendal max all aluminum body?

MendelMax uses too much aluminum extrusion for what it is. You could build 2 bukobots for the amount of extrusion the mendelmax uses.

I think the Mendel series have to little Z height and the Buko is OpenSource without available source. You can look here: http://www.thingiverse.com/categories/3d-printing/3d-printers

Maybe talk to @Whosa_whatsis or @Diego_Porqueras_Deez and see if they can pass you the existing STLs seeing as they aren’t available anywhere that I can see? I think right now, since the bukobot was a kickstarter, they’re focusing on getting printers to their customers before releasing the files, but might be willing to make an exception?

@ThantiK I had forgotten it was a kickstarter project. I suppose it wouldn’t be fair if they gave the files out while backers were still waiting for machines.

This looks good: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:16076

@ThantiK
You could almost build 3 bukobots for the amount of extrusion the mendelmax uses.

We’re working on getting the files organized enough to post in between getting orders shipped out. They should be available soon.

@Whosa_whatsis do you have any close up photos of the z connection to the extrusion? I.e. how does it slide?

We use UHMW tape to put a low-friction surface on a printed form that clamps the extrusion and slides along it.

@Whosa_whatsis what is the advantage of synchromesh compared to 2gt belts? I think they are a bit hard to find. (Hard to find = not on eBay)

Aside from the additional use cases (they can bend in any direction, and don’t have to be kept in a plane), they’re quieter (you don’t think your belts are making noise, but they are), they’re more resistant to stretching, and unlike most of the popular belt profiles other than gt2, they’re actually designed to be anti-backlash.

Did not think of the bending thing :slight_smile: Nice … I’m a bit worried about the flexing of GT2 belts in high speed prints. But that is obviously solved with synchromesh …