I'm considering making a series of instructional Youtube videos around 3D printer operation and

I’m considering making a series of instructional Youtube videos around 3D printer operation and maintenance.
What topics would you like to see covered?

How to build one of those crazy things on your ceiling. :smiley:
How to setup a firmware to your hw.

Just simple how-to’s for beginners. I’m a hardware junkie, especially for mobile devices but, I’ve had my eyes on 3D printers but haven’t a clue of where I would even start. (If I had a 3D printer… obvious first step is obvious :stuck_out_tongue:)

Getting the temperatures right? Both extruder and bed?

What filament extruded the correct temperature looks like.
Also, tips on using support in slic3r. Thanks @Thomas_Sanladerer !

Calibration, bed levelling, bed cleaning, getting material to stick(kapton, painters tape, sanded glass, abs glue), current on steppers… Loads!

+1 slicer tips

I think it’s important to do a counter “buying guide to 3d printers” if the one offered by Make. I know in advertising the best reviews mostly goto the highest bidder, and I think that there is an opportunity to at least do an open source version of that… I’d love to see what you come up with though.

Maybe a howTo on adding a diy/kit SD card/lcd to your electronics for noobs.

1: print workflow video for people who have never touch a printer (just the model, slice, heat print)
2: software intro(pick a tool and stick with it a host software and slicer)
3: bed leveling and basic setup and calibration
4:slicer tips and tricks
5: modeling limitations (things to keep in mind when making a printable model, and an easily printable model)
6:Things to keep in mind when choosing a kit.

Troubleshooting bad prints, i.e., banding, shifting, blobbing, porosity, poor bed adhesion, curling, etc.

I started out on Skeinforge 40. So what I remember needing most was a good description of sane starting settings and reasons for them. Maybe dedicated videos on how to get the best results from each of the common materials.

After that I most needed advice for a non-electronics guy in wiring up the hardware.

Links to resources in the video description would also be immensely helpful, since information seems to be so scattered. Links to related topics would be helpful too, such as how to solder and make reliable wiring.

Common pitfalls like inverted end stops would make another good topic.

How to implement common mods like the previously mentioned SD card, LCD, fan for PLA, bed leveling probe, etc.

I’m looking forward to whatever you come up with, as I’m sure I still have a lot to learn.

Add backlash reduction tips.

Good man! I have thought about this a bit In the past. Broadly, this is what I’d mapped out:

1. Intro to FDM printers to start with - list the various kinds of printer, maybe some stuff on Reprap philosophy, open hardware, software etc. Run through the fundamental components. Perhaps cover the most popular builds and their pros/cons.
  2. Intro to Mechanics. Frame types (T slot, threaded rods, ply, acrylic etc). Linear guides (linear shafts, bearings, linear slides, v slot etc). Actuation (various timing belt, threaded rod, lead screws, spectra, synchromesh etc).
  3. Intro to filament extrusion. Thermoplastic types, basic principles of extrusion, pros and cons of 1,75 and 3mm, direct drive, geared drive, bowden, hobbed pulleys and hobbed bolts, hot end varieties etc. PID.
  4. Intro to electronics. Arduino, and sheilds. IO types and purposes. PSUs. PWM description. Mosfets and fuses. Thermistors and heaters. Stepper motors and stepper drivers. Maybe something on 8bit limitations. List the popular varieties of shield and all-in one boards.
  5. Intro to Slicers and Hosts. Pros and cons of slicers and hosts, Octopi and SD printing.
  6. Sourcing hardware. Pros and cons of Chinese direct purchase, list some popular/well reputed sites.
  7. Building mechanics - Requisite tools (Drivers, hex keys, wrench, micrometer, ruler etc). Health and Safety. Assembly guidelines (how to square a frame, bedding-in linear bearings, belt tightening, etc etc)
  8. Building Extruders - Tips and tricks for direct geared and bowden builds.
  9. Building Electronics. Soldering, crimping, multimeter use, tuning steppers, wire gauge choices, termination methods.
  10. Calibration. This needs serious work IMO - the triffid hunter and reprap ones are well outdated and not very accessible to the layman, TBH, this could be a whole series of posts on it’s own.
  11. First Prints and Trouble shooting. Same as Calibration, so much to cover.

Hope this helps, let me know if you need assistance as it would be a huge undertaking if you intend to do the subject justice (I imagine you would).

acceleration settings
vibration dampener settings

@Thomas_Sanladerer I’m aware my previous comment expanded beyond the remit you were considering btw :).

If your print looks like " this " probable caused are.
If your print looks like " This " probable causes are.

@Tim_Rastall oh no, no, that comment is perfect!
I usually don’t underestimate projects, but this one is going to huge. After two years and thousands of hours of 3D printing, you take so many things for granted and forget how tedious it really was to figure things out with the kind of information that was available back then.
So that’s decided, then. I’ll take the feedback from here into consideration (thanks everyone!) and plan out episodes, of which I’ll hopefully be able to finish one per week (with a faster pace starting mid-February).