Ideas on adjustable bed modifications

Here is the Tinkercad link is you want to modify instead of starting from scratch.

3 Likes

I spent a while this morning recreating the spring supports with the correct dimensions all the while not realizing that no matter what dimensions my gantries we’re this design will not work. I failed to notice that the left side laser mount on the X gantry rides too closely to the underlying Y gantry. There is less than 1/8" clearance. Any 3d printed parts thin enough to fit that space will likely be too weak.

I took a chance and installed the spring loaded bed mod. I had to thin the left side mount down to 2mm. Instead of 3/4" x 1/8" aluminum I used a cheap piece of window screen frame I found at Lowe’s. It’s thin but at the same time fully boxed and it was half the price of the stock aluminum. I also bought some 3.5" hardware bolts to use with the springs but as you can see in the picture I didn’t use as it was not in the bag once I got home. I had to temporarily use short 1.5" hardware which will only allow me to insert an item up to 1/2" thick.

Since I used the modified box frame I had to redesign the mount a bit. Instead of slits I just created sort of a tenon that slipped into the box frame. It was a tight fit so I didn’t even bother putting a screw on the ends. I also had to adjust the location of the tenon to perfect the focus. Seems to work well. Not convinced it will hold up long term due to the thinning of the mount.
When I get time I’ll put a remix on Thingiverse and credit ragpoet.

20190302_164931

4 Likes

Looks nice and hey if a mount breaks, just print another.

1 Like

This is definitely impressive. I’m wondering if I can modify this to work with a honeycomb… hmm…

1 Like

@RagPoet, an excellent addition to the spring table design by @Scorch.
Outstanding to see the evolution of ideas!
Tim

1 Like

I have a piece of expanded steel mesh that I place in the clamps when I am cutting cardboard or paper. I would thing honeycomb would work as well.

I love this idea but I still want the ability to raise and lower the bed to match the lasers optimum focus so… I have an idea to redesign the 3d printed parts to allow for manual z axis motion and create a coin battery operated led probe to help level the bed. Still trying to keep it relatively inexpensive but add a little more tweak-ability.

1 Like