I'd love pointers for wire to led connectors for wearable wiring.

I’d love pointers for wire to led connectors for wearable wiring.

I built 4 vests and three bikes this year for BM. They’re all based on the same core design IP68 (gel) ws2812 strips soldered together w/ e6000 glue reinforcement and lots of zipties to a mesh panel that gets covered by batting and either fur or upholstery fabric. Those get wired to a teensy 3.2 w/ a propshield.

I designed and milled out little boards to hold the connectors and teensy together. Two of the three bikes lasted all of burning man, but my jackets didn’t hold up. basically I was getting to much pressure on either the solder joint from wires to the lights or the pads on the first light of a strip.

I powered everything from USB battery packs (huge ones for the bikes, little ones for the vests).

Everything came together just as I was leaving for burning man so they just played rotating rainbow (which frankly people love even if it drives me crazy)

11c46f233199f216f1bfe3b5858c5617.jpeg

Have you done eBikes? Using something like Bluetooth to coordinate movement and light patterns could be interesting.

Try folding the wires at the end of the strips back under the strip and zip-tying them there-this will stop the solder joint flexing.

Alternatively, put a sleeve of clear heat shrink over the end and fill it with E6000 glue (a syringe helps with doing this.) Playa-proof.

That’s a great suggestion Robert! I used e6000 without the heat shrink, but never considered folding (which totally makes sense now). Thanks.

Here’s one I prepared earlier :slight_smile:missing/deleted image from Google+

nice trifecta, zip ties, hot glue and heatshrink!

Hot glue!? That my friend is Our Lady of Permanent Adhesion, aka E6000. Heed the wise words of “Dr Jon’s guide to electronics on the Playa: “Hot melt glue will do just that”: http://wiki.orbswarm.com/index.php/Building_Electronics_and_Robots_for_the_Desert