I wonder where I can get ABS powder...

I wonder where I can get ABS powder…

I was thinking, ABS tends to fuse with acetone, and acetone is probably suitably thin enough to be used as the ink in one of those arduino printhead shields…with little enough used, perhaps it should dry up before the next layer was printed.

Just a thought. Chemical/Solvent sintering…

Should be easy to produce. For small amounts get use a fine steel file on a failed print…no sand paper so no grit in the result. An interesting idea. Seems like you could do it in a similar method as a laser printer.

But you still need a powder based printer and the only one that I know is the Pwdr Model 0.1 (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:27794).

For the ABS powder maybe you can use ABS pellets and a Rock Tumbler (http://geology.com/rock-tumbler/) with steel balls and no water.

@Cesar_Augusto_Fernan I don’t need a whole setup to test if the idea could be feasible or not. Just a nice level sheet of ABS and a light spray of acetone.

ABS is used for powder coating.
It is possible to laser-sinter it with a properly focused blueray-laser.

@Marcus_Wolschon intradasting…

the problem starts with the word “properly focused”

@ThantiK you are right but you also need to check what happens to the lower powder sheets to know the amount of acetone in each layer and the time to dry it

I’ve thought about trying the same thing, but I was concerned that the recycled printer cartridge might not be acetone-safe.

A vaguely related sintering process is the CandyFab 3000, that @Evil_Mad_Scientist built a couple years ago. It uses sugar and a heat gun and does a good job if you want to affordably print in the two or three cubic foot range.

Thus far I’ve had zero luck sintering anything with a 250mW laser diode, just as a single data point. I think it’s going to need to be at least watt-range. (Which is a shame; we were hoping we could grind some of our failed blue and black prints into fine particles and try sinter-forming.)

Luckily, I don’t plan on trying any laser sintering any time soon. Chemical sintering is what I personally will be attempting to test in the next couple days. =P

However, after some of these posts, I definitely want to try pulling a laser diode out of a blu-ray.

Most definitely get laser glasses for the right wavelength before starting down that, okay? Fun factoid: you can mostly repair damage caused by invisible lasers, but damage from visible ones is permanent.

@John_Bump I have experience with green/blue diodes through a couple projects at my hackerspace.

Also make sure you get a piezoelectric printhead - ones that work thermally would jam up within microseconds if you pumped ABS juice through it :smiley:

I don’t think you’d really need powder, since pellet-sized ABS pieces will already completely dissolve overnight.

@Thomas_Sanladerer I wouldn’t ever pump ABS through something like this…purely acetone. No need to have ABS mixed in, because when the acetone his the powder, it should have the same effect.

@ThantiK got it. My mind was wandering in the wrong direction - it kept thinking that you wanted to squirt out ABS juice and have it dry layer by layer. Good idea using acetone as a binder in a powder-based printer! So basically, you’re taking the same process Zprinters use, but adapting it for ABS.

I also learned acetic acid is a binder for Nylon.

@ThantiK as far as getting / making the powder, this guy has built a simple contraption that should be able to grind up ABS and PLA: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1eO3PCNvDI