I went to China last week to check up on Manga Screen 2 manufacturers,

I went to China last week to check up on Manga Screen 2 manufacturers, check out what Hua Qiang Bei electronics market is all about, if it’s a viable place to source components or not and to check out maker fair Shenzhen. In particular I was interested in how some electronics boards can manufacture and sell for such a low cost.
My conclusion is that it’s not really worth it. Connectors for instance, that is often a big part of the BoM, and something that looks very easy to make compared to the work and documentation that goes into an IC. You can find connectors that look and feel similar to Molex connectors at a 1/10 of the price, UL approved. For a 3D printer, that is not really something you want to skimp on tough. If it decreases the yield by a single percent, is that worth it? The cost of replacing a board once it is in the hands of a customer will quickly weigh up for the dollars saved during manufacturing. Also a single near accident or, god, forbid a real accident will stop a business in it’s tracks.
I’ll stick to sourcing from reputable distributors and spend my time contacting the manufacturers instead, knowing that there is probably quite a bit of play on list prices, given enough volume.
We made a video from the trip as well, really as an update to MS2 backers, but seems to be relevant here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1924187374/manga-screen-2/posts/2054655

For anyone wondering what this has to do with 3D printing, Elias Bakken is the creator of a handful of BeagleBone-based control boards, which are compatible with the Manga Screen 2, which can be used as a 3D printer control panel front end. This isn’t just a cheapy 20x4 character display, but a full on high resolution display panel with full touch interface. It should make for some really nice options for standalone 3D printers.

@ThantiK Yeah thanks. Reading over this it was perhaps not clear : ) I was considering alternative source for the new Revolve board. We want to get the price point down slightly. I feel like no one is talking about how low cost options are really made viable.

I feel like no one is talking about the risks involved in components that are almost correct, so I really appreciate you talking about that and balancing against cost to consumer in the long and short term.

Just ordered a smoothie x5, any ideas if someone is going to create something to make this compatable or possibly point me in the direction of the info??

Interesting topic to discuss at mrrf.

@raykholo absolutely! Im all for have by a conversation about this, would even participate in a panel, if there is an interest in it!

This would make a great topic for MRRF - I’d certainly make time for it. Provided it wasn’t scheduled for 7am. :stuck_out_tongue:

@ThantiK haha! Sure! Who do we talk to about fitting it in the agenda? The seemeCNC guys, right?

Is there even a listed agenda?

(That moment a spam comment happens on a thread with a bunch of mods… Lolz)

@Justin_Nesselrotte you must have gotten it before the notification even hit

Yeah, it showed up in like the refresh of me making my comment. Still, gutsy move

@Elias_Bakken Yeah, I believe the SeeMeCNC guys handle the roster for that.

Welcome to cn

@ThantiK ​ is there a page that shows the current roster?

@Justin_Nesselrotte I’m not sure it starts getting set up this early, I’m not sure.

I actually want to talk about design practices to keep people from blowing up their boards.

So if we zoom out a little bit, and set up general panel with all the board makers - Johnny from Ultimachine, @Alden_Hart from Synthetos (TinyG) - I see that being quite educational.

This is everyone I remember being there last year.

I’d love to be on a panel for the software side of slicers, firmware, and/or hosts. Do you think that’s something people would be interested in?

Well Elias and Alden would be right there with you on firmware… I’m the odd one out being just a hardware designer :slight_smile: